Supra Forums banner

Help my pops pick his new ride!

719 views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  DanSupraTT 
#1 · (Edited)
*EDIT

Sorry,

talking to my Dad now and he said he was looking at the 5 series. I am telling him to look at the infinity M class.

Anyone else with any opinions??? Lexus GS??? Any new Japanese cars coming out that will be in that range???

I also want him to look at the LS600h but I have a feeling it will be very expensive. Does anyone have a price estimate???

Thanks,

-Aaron

#2 ·
I've spent a lot of time in a touareg V8 and it's a great vehicle that has not been plagued with the reliability problems some of people complain about. Comfortable, damn quiet (except when you floor it, then it sounds like a v8 should) relatively quick for such a heavy thing, great through the snow/rain, great visitbility, easy to park...the only downside I've ever found to it have is fuel economy. I was regularly getting 8-9mpg. That sort of sucked.

#4 ·
Iamthebull said:
Infiniti M class? They're nice but they just don't seem to be all to popular and there must be a reason why.
They seem to be doing well on all the comparisons...

I am now thinking of GS450h. Hybrid, but more in his price range.

#6 ·
Eggy said:
*EDIT

Sorry,

talking to my Dad now and he said he was looking at the 5 series. I am telling him to look at the infinity M class.

Anyone else with any opinions??? Lexus GS??? Any new Japanese cars coming out that will be in that range???

I also want him to look at the LS600h but I have a feeling it will be very expensive. Does anyone have a price estimate???

Thanks,

-Aaron
LS600h?
Above 100k.
For the price, I actually like all the cars that are available-even Acura. And call me stupid but honest to god I like the Avalon more than the GS430. If you are brave get an STS. Really great cars that aren't getting their fair share of attention.

#8 ·
GVR: They are super-popular here. I have grown to like them very much myself.

Truslide: 100k... goddamn!!!! The Avalon looks nice, but I still like the GS better. I am definitely going to push the GS450h, because thought it is more expensive, I think it will be worth it in the long run with all the gas savings, etc. etc.

Poon: I don't think I can convince my Dad to get another German car other than a BMW >.<

#10 ·
SHOWOFF said:
The M45 is a great car! It's really tight and handles very well but the other side of the is that the ride is a little bumpy for a luxo-sedan...for anything else you'd say the ride is great, but Vs the E class or 5 series it's more sporty.
I like the M45 design more than the GS but, the hybrid thing has really got me excited. >.<

Ahhhhh...... what to do...

#12 ·
GAS SAVINGS? Let's pretend you are me. You'll spend $200 a week on gas no problem because you like cars so much. That's $600 a month. That's $7200 a year. That's $36,000 for as long as I would anticipate owning the car. 18/25 compare that to the "gas savings" of a hybrid 27/28 in their review in the GSh. Add on the 5-8k premium on a regular 430 depending on region. The hybrid will get approx 1/3 better fuel economy. That means you will pay about $134 a week on gas, $402 a month, $4824 a year. $24,120 in 5 years + cost over GS430= $30,000. Does that put it into perspective? No you aren't me. But the savings are no better than just getting a GS300. Have it your way, but that cost isn't worth it to me considering how much more the maintenance costs on than the GS3 models. Now if you're into performance the hybrid starts to make more sense, infact it's downright attractive then. Yet at that cost, there's cars like the A6, RL and M45 with sophisticated AWD systems and high output engines ready to run circles around this car. And I hate Acura, but I put the RL up there too. That says something.

#13 ·
TrueSlideXL said:
GAS SAVINGS? Let's pretend you are me. You'll spend $200 a week on gas no problem because you like cars so much. That's $600 a month. That's $7200 a year. That's $36,000 for as long as I would anticipate owning the car. 18/25 compare that to the "gas savings" of a hybrid 27/28 in their review in the GSh. Add on the 5-8k premium on a regular 430 depending on region. The hybrid will get approx 1/3 better fuel economy. That means you will pay about $134 a week on gas, $402 a month, $4824 a year. $24,120 in 5 years + cost over GS430= $30,000. Does that put it into perspective? No you aren't me. But the savings are no better than just getting a GS300. Have it your way, but that cost isn't worth it to me considering how much more the maintenance costs on than the GS3 models. Now if you're into performance the hybrid starts to make more sense, infact it's downright attractive then. Yet at that cost, there's cars like the A6, RL and M45 with sophisticated AWD systems and high output engines ready to run circles around this car. And I hate Acura, but I put the RL up there too. That says something.

This post was kind of confusing. Assuming the GS430 would cost $36,000 in gas after 5 years, and the GS450h would get around $24,000. Saving $12,000 in gas alone sounds amazing! Even if you add the extra 6 grand that is estimated over the GS430, you are still saving 6 grand in the long run! And this car is supposed to perform ridiculously well. Sub 6 second 0-60... it also has every single option possible. Of course GS300 is a great choice too, but if I had the extra money I would go the extra mile and go for the performance and luxury of a GS450h. I am pretty sure the performance of the R6, RL and M45 awd is excellent, but I highly doubt any of them would "run circles" around the GS450h.

Anyway, I am now telling him to look at the new G35 sedan when it comes out, because it is looking really, really good. He just seems really set on making sure all the passengers are comfortable, so does anyone have anything to say about the room in a g35 sedan???

#18 · (Edited)
SHOWOFF said:
I've spent a lot of time in a touareg V8 and it's a great vehicle that has not been plagued with the reliability problems some of people complain about. Comfortable, damn quiet (except when you floor it, then it sounds like a v8 should) relatively quick for such a heavy thing, great through the snow/rain, great visitbility, easy to park...the only downside I've ever found to it have is fuel economy. I was regularly getting 8-9mpg. That sort of sucked.
And you are recommending this vehicle???? :hahano: :hahano: :hahano:

Nothing wrong with a 5 series....if he likes it, I don't know why you'd be trying to steer him away from it....particularily for a Nissan. Sorry, had to say it, and yes I know Lexus's are Toyotas and yada yada. But if he likes the way BMW's drive and likes the feel and style, it's still hard to duplicate in Japanese form....

#19 ·
TrueSlideXL said:
Do you take one week off each month not driving your car?

#20 ·
TrueSlide: I'll make sure he looks at the M45, but I think room is more important to him than performance. He was looking at the BMW 530, so probably not a V8 engine configuration.

Romancer: I would say 40-55 grand.

Doug: No need for another Evo in the family ;) He's not a real performance enthusiast anyway.

North: BMWs have always been great cars, but ever since the new 5 series came out I've been reading sub-par reviews, and I don't trust that idrive system either. It really seems like the driving experience isn't all there with the 5 and 7 series. I would much rather him get an MB E-class, especially since he's going to opt for an auto auto this time.

SupraStar: Very good find. I didn't even notice that! +1

#21 ·
SupraStar2000 said:
Do you take one week off each month not driving your car?
Did I do the math wrong? It's all approximations anyway. I didn't account for 365 days, just weeksX3X12 for the numbers. The ratio remains the same. The best cars out of all of those for a smaller displacement would be 530>M35>RL>GS300>G35. The RL really is the best value. I can sell you a 2001 E55. Just throwing it out there.

#22 ·
Lotus Exige. 29 mpg, 190 hp, 1500lbs. I have driven a lot of fun and fast cars, including my supra. The exige is the most badass driving car I have ever been behind the wheel of. My supra feels like a boring tub compared to this thing. If only I could afford one :(

I have been trying to get my dad to buy one ever since I test drove one.

#24 ·
Lotus Exige is not a 4 door luxury sedan -_-

As much as I want my Dad to get a sweet car like that, he doesn't know that much about cars, and I know he wouldn't take care of a car like that properly...

MR2: I hate the new 3 series styling, and again my Dad would rather opt for a comfy, roomy car than a great handling coupe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.