Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my uncle has a Lexus Altezza, its the RS200 model, it came with the 6speed transmission and the Beams 3SGE motor. I already talked to them with my parents on purchasing it but they told me what i want to do, let them do it and then bring it home as my uncle does engine swaps, painting etc.

Im gonna put a 2JZGTE motor in it with the 1JZ's 5speed manual transmission. What i want to find out if is there are any websites or anyone who have done this swap. I wanna get a bit of a walkthrough of it or at least something about how the radiator/ the a/c condenser and intercooler was fitted as well as using one 14" Electric fan and a 12" electric fan on the radiator(these fans are the ones i use now in my 1jz and cools awesome, its about 2" total size(that is from when it rests on the radiator to distance of the back of the fan).

During my 1jz wswap in my cressida i saw a guy doing this swap but that time i did'nt know too much so i did'nt get info, however i know the guy and he told me there would have to be a bit of fabrication on the mounts, and the front will have to cut or reposition the radiator, condenser and maybe cut the bumper bar for the intercooler.

DUnno if this is the wrong forum area for this but any help would be appreciated.

Oh another note, i think the IS300's in the U.S are longer by 2" than the ones we bring from japan down here. Which is why i want some help, i dont wanna have everything almost finished and when time comes for the fans, its touching the pulley's.

From watching this setup, im seeing alot of space available meaning thats the IS300 , but im hoping i can get everything done without a problem of having to get the headache and say "Time to give up".

Check this out as well, is it safe to cut this bar off and then reweld it back on after the swap? I dont mind remaking stronger bars if im to remove the bumper bar or cut it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
i really dont think toyota would extend the chassis a few inches for the us market? But hey what do I know... Arent there 2jz powered altezza wagons? Either way, its not ideal to cut out the support and reweld it as the weld points for that parts structural rigidity are somewhere else. I think youde be fine, but ide avoid it. Ive seen a lot of gte is's but they start off with a 2jzge.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
That 2" is just some wicked trickery the engineers had to pull with the headers and engine mounts, as a result the engine sits a bit funny compared to the 3S series engines. For the cost of the swap it is smarter to just turbocharge the BEAMS motor.

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^Reverse that down here lol, costwise if i had to turbo it, i'd want reliability and down here we just know of to put any turbo and leave it without fuel mods as much and internals changing and hitting high boost. And well its costing more. I have a friend who is getting me a 2jzgte that is from a mk4 supra but its automatic, which is good enough, bcuz they had a manual transmission from the 1jz ready to put on it which is even better. ;)

The price i got it for is basically, like free :D And i dont want to bring the car home and send it back to do a swap so im just leaving it by my uncle so he can do everything properly and well, then bring it home, leave the motor alone as its a nice car, and probably put an upgraded clutch and PP, as well as the lightweight flywheel, and run the boost to about 12psi and that should be a perfect ride for everyday driving.

Thanks for the inputs so far, but i've settled my mind for the 2jz swap, dont mind a 1-2 months wait(dont think they would take that long but i'd let them take as long as they want so its properly done)

·
DRiFTT
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEY MAN THANKS ALOT! Some of those pics shows me that its basically similar to my car's swap, just a few things to work around, should be good now :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts