Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve searched forum, YouTube, and google and haven’t found anything able to help, the starter motor went on my 2jz gte supra, my friend helped take the inlet off, and everything above the starter, now he’s dropped me in and I’m stuck with the car in the middle of my drive, I’ve got brand new gaskets, copper washers etc, but I haven’t the foggiest on how to rebuild it myself, I spent most of the time under the car, all the guides etc I found were for after market inlets, and not the standard one, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

·
Just a guy who loves cars
94' Turbo, Targa, 6 spd, Ren Red.
384 Posts
Danny, Im not sure what you are asking. What is it you are trying to rebuild, the starter? Or are you trying to reinstall your intake manifold? Pictures would be helpful I think. Good luck!

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,652 Posts
Intake manifold does not have to come off to replace the starter.

·
From the land down under
4,390 Posts
This ^

Sadly, it sounds like your "friend" led you down a long path that you didnt need to walk down :(

Reinstalling the intake manifold wont be too difficult, but if you have any specific questions about which gaskets or seals you need to use, then by all means, post them up here and somebody will help you :)

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've rebuilt my starter and I was underneath the car the entire time. I don't remember having to take anything from the top of the motor.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sounds like you're stuck with the intake manifold off (not needed as others have mentioned to remove the starter) and no starter installed. Is that correct?

the Toyota TSRM is available on the app store or online for free and has complete disassembly or reassembly instructions and we can help walk you through any questions.

Here is a link to the TSRM: https://www.shoarmateam.nl/content/mkiv-supra-tsrm/

Here is the link to the exact PDF detailing intake manifold reinstallation (see EG-66, it is page 66 of the PDF file): http://shoarmateam.nl/upload/MKIVSupra/Supra-MKIV-Repair-Manual/Engines/Mechanical.pdf

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
if your having trouble with the intake/starter then i wouldn't recommend rebuilding it yourself. just get a new or reman.
as far as installing the intake, post a pic so we can see where your at. that would be a huge help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Toyota starters are famous for going out at about 80K or so. all it is brushes. Not too hard of a fix to add 2 brushes. they just slip right in. That would be better than buying a rebuild from the parts stores

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the reply’s everyone! Yeah I deffo learned the hard way in regards to changing the starter, I had a brand new one to fit as the old one just packed in, when I put this post up I had put the new starter on, but my mate took the whole inlet off, all the way down to the starter it’s self, next time I will deffo change it from under, I’ve now rebuilt the inlet etc car starts and drives, but for some reason now it seems to get to 0.5bar boost then struggles, sometimes it hits a full 1bar, but all pipes are on, all sensors are plugged back in, the charge canister, I’ve tried swapping the 2 pipes around, and it just made it worse, so swapped them back, I’m so confused with it if I’m honest, I’ve got another of coming over at the weekend to take a look as he’s had a few supras, so will know his way around it a lot better than me, just wish I’d known the starter could of just been changed from under haha, on the other hand, if I hadn’t stripped the inlet side off, I would never of known it had a rocker cover leak, so that’s now had it’s gaskets changed, and high heat sealant added :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This ^

Sadly, it sounds like your "friend" led you down a long path that you didnt need to walk down :(

Reinstalling the intake manifold wont be too difficult, but if you have any specific questions about which gaskets or seals you need to use, then by all means, post them up here and somebody will help you :)
Yeah he deffo took my down a long in needed road, I’ve changed both gaskets for the inlet it’s self, but I’m abit confused now as I’m only getting half boost, I’ve swapped pipes on the charge canister just above the starter, that didn’t help, I’ve now got another lad coming at the weekend to take a look at the car, he’s had about 8 supras, so he will deffo know his way around it to point me in the right direction, but all pipes are back on, and all plugs in etc too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These are the few pictures I took as it was stripped down, I’ll put a couple follow up pictures after the new starter was installed, but as you can see there was an oil leak running down the inside of the inlet, and down the block, that has been fixed

New gaskets

New starter installed and plugged in, and this is how it was sat when I put up the original post, I honestly didn’t have a clue as my mate went home at this point, I did put socks in to stop moisture etc,

This is also where she was stripped down, so I wasn’t able to get one of my other cars past, so been without a car for nearly a month,

That’s it now rebuilt, it did start and drive, but was only getting half boost, I have now changed rocker cover gaskets, and sealed using high temp sealant,

Can only attach 10 images, so will reply again with finished result.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And this is where I’m at atm, just trying to find the boost issue now, I am quite happy with results, and god I managed to get that oil leak addressed before it got any worse,

And here is how she is sitting now, she starts and drives, just need to find the boost issue, but come the weekend I will have another supra owner here who actually knows his way around them, so should hopefully be able to address the issue, and I will re post up and keep you lot updated, thanks again for everyone’s help, I really do appreciate it! Danny

·
From the land down under
4,390 Posts
Well done for getting it back to this point. It sounds like you may have some vacuum lines connected incorrectly, so hopefully your other friend is able to assist, otherwise there are diagrams around for them

In regard to the new valve cover gaskets, you shouldnt need to put any silicone sealant on with them, except a dap either side of the cam half moons at the front. Also, did you buy new washers for the bolts, and torque to spec? One of the easiest bolts to over tighten on the Supra, and the cause of many an unnecessary leak

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Agreed with Mr Ree NZ- also , if the pressure tank on the driver side , under the intake manifold is bad, it will cause the issues you are describing, i would replace all !! vacuum lines with brand new silicone hoses, and see what it does, also the VSV's are prone to going bad, age, heat etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts