Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... i've searched the forums and although the problem i have is similar to a few i've read it's slightly different too.

Basically if i drive normally the first turbo will come on as per usual and hold at around .7 bar. But as soon as the second turbo is meant to kick in the boost just drops to 0 bar and doesn't move. When i change gears there's no BOV sound.
If i change gears before the second turbo is meant to come in and boost is still around .7 bar.... the BOV will sound along with a wooooooooo noise following. Kind of like the sound whales make when talking to each other on Discovery Channel.
Sometimes if a drive "quickly" then i will have no boost come at all after changing into 3rd or 4th... or if there is it will build very slowly.
My car is fairly stock with a Veilside Titanium exhaust catback and Apexi pod filter been the only engine "mods".
I have tried temporarily going TTC mode but the problem remained.
Yesterday i found a split hose that came straight off the stock BOV and replaced it... still no change. :(
I heard going "permanent" TTC can help solve the problem. Is this true? Something about keeping the actuators open rather than bypassing... :dunno:
I'm not getting the death whine by the way.
Errmmmm.... i can't think of anything else that i can describe to you.... hope someone else has had this problem and been able to fix it.
I was running the car with the vsv mod but now it's back to stock and it's still the same. I have no boost controller and isn't .7bar 11psi which is stock??
So are both my turbo's coming on at once though it's not meant to be?

I have taken it to a few mechanics.... one said it was a blown turbo....which i refuse to believe....and he also said the back turbo was the first turbo.
Another mechanic wanted a minimum charge of $200 just to look at it. And the third said it'ld take a week to find the problem. :rolleyes:

What is this reed valve problem and how do i fix it?
Also heard it could be my pressure tank... where is this located and is it a DIY job?

Thanks

·
I pretend to be fast
1,030 Posts
I was gonna say a look for a boost leak, but it really sounds like your second turbo bit the dust. The whale sound you discribe does sound like the deathwhine. If you put it in ttc and still have the same problem, then Id really think blown turbo. From what I've been told, its usually the second turbo that goes out more often, and thats what this sounds like a case of to me. :dunno:

·
Still Sportin' the Twins
245 Posts
First, the back turbo is #2.

Second, it does sound like a blown #2 turbo from your description, but I suppose it could be a problem with the exhaust gas control valve (EGCV). If the intake control valve (IACV) is opening but the EGCV is not, you won't get any boost like you are experiencing. I'd verify the EGCV VSV, actuator, and valve are operating normally before shelling out $$ for a new turbo. The quickest and easiest thing to do to rule out a blown turbo is to manually wire open both the IACV and EGCV as per the "permanent TTC mode" instructions on mkiv.com. If you still get the whale whine, then it's fairly certain you have a blown turbo.

David

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn... thanks for the help... i'll try the permanent TTC mod first then. How is that different to the temp TTC mod??

BTW... wouldn't the death whine happen during acceleration...not after i step on the clutch to change gears?

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh i also noticed that it doesn't make that woooooooooo noise when the engine is still coldish... it will start happening around 5minutes of driving.

·
Registered
199 Posts
had similar problem with my car. then figured out that the IACV (VSV) and EGCV (VSV) were knackered, once i replaced them it was fine.

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you find that out? Like how do you test it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
We did a NA--TT swap so when we were fixing up the TT engine we found that the two sensors were broken. but in your case they probably will appear fine so you would have to take it to someone who has adequate diagnostic equipment.

·
Still Sportin' the Twins
245 Posts
SupraBoy said:
Damn... thanks for the help... i'll try the permanent TTC mod first then. How is that different to the temp TTC mod??

BTW... wouldn't the death whine happen during acceleration...not after i step on the clutch to change gears?
The permanent TTC mod physically wires the valves open. This ensures they are both actually in the open position and not relying on the VSVs, actuators or tubing to be in a funtional state (which could be your problem).
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/ttc/ttc.htm#How to wire the actuators open:

I would imaging the death wine would happen only when you accelerate, yes.

David

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok.... i did the permanent TTC mod last night... and guess what...

NO BOOST?!?!?!

What now?? HEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP :(

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoit... are you 100%?? :p

Wouldn't it make the death whine??

:(

I'm going to check my hoses again :p

·
PlayBoy
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah i got nothing at all...drove worse than an NA.

I tried the other way first... that's the temp ttc mod.

My last hope is to check the actuators and the hoses. :(

·
Still Sportin' the Twins
245 Posts
If you wired both valves open and could physically hear them opening when you did it, then I'm 99% certain it's a bad turbo. Once you wire it that way, the hoses mean squat. You would get at least some boost if the turbos were okay. The fact that you were getting about 10 psi on #1 alone tells me there isn't a boost leak big enough to cause zero boost in twin mode. You were running with the VSV hose pulled and a split hose to the BOV. (Which hose, BTW?) If the split hose was the small one, it is likely your BOV wasn't functioning properly and could have helped shorten the life of your turbo.

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts