Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check oil light had come on for a second or two about five times last week, so I checked my oil level and noticed that it was very low. Realizing that this could be a serious problem I took the car in to have it checked out. While having the car checked out and having the oil changed the mechanic informed me that I have a small oil leak from the “front seal” of my car where the engine and transmission connect and that this is why my oil level is so low.

According to the mechanic, I only had one and a half quarts of oil in my engine. Was this enough oil to protect my engine from “thermal viscosity” or did I most likely damage my engine’s internals?

How expensive is it going to be for me to fix my engine’s “front seal” or “main seal” as the mechanic called it?

When checking my driveway for oil spots I didn’t find any, so where is all of this oil leaking? Is it possible that the oil only leaks while the car is moving? Is it possible that the oil is being burned?

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Thanks in advance.

·
1,522 Posts
My valve cover gaskit is leaking oil and I am also burning some oil too. I would recomend the same technique that I am going to do.
First, fill your oil and check it often. See how much you lose. Maybe you can live with adding a quart every month. (not a big deal....if that is how much you lose).
Second, do a compression check to see if you have any bad cylinders...if you do.....then you know you are probably burning a lot of oil out. THey should read around 160 and they should not be different from each other by more than 10 or 15. Then you can just repair the bad cylinder. You can do the test yourself.... very easy.

I have to add a quart about every 2 fillups. Very annoying and pricey with full synthetic.
You might be able to buy that gasket and change it yourself.
Hope that helps somewhat.

troy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check the bolts that secure the covers for the camshafts. Oil may be seeping from these being loose. They were loose on mine and I was leaking oil as well. There will be 4 or 5 10mm bolts for each camshaft cover, intake and exhaust. There are also more when you remove the spark plug cover. Tighten them all. Hope this helps.

Alan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts