Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
help! how does my dimmer switch work? i wanna hook up my new face gauges and my boost gauge to it, but theres 3 prongs, could someone explain to me which ones i want to let the boost gauge light bulb go dimmer/brighter with the switch and the fauce gauges just use power from it? (since the fauce gauges already have their own dimmer)

also the most popular point to connect a boost gauge line is outside the firewall right?

thanks in advance guys

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
dude just put the poer wire to each inlet of that plug and see which one it is..it wont blow it up or anything. u got 3 choices..to it wont take u forever.

insert it into one inert of the plug..then the other..till you find the one that illuminates your light.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey good idea, thanks, problem is EVERYTHING is disconnected right now, i just wanted to hook it up for later. i guess it can wait.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
The dimmer switch gets attached to the ground of the light setup. Pin 3.

(You provide +12V to the gauge, and the other wire gets connected to Pin 3 of the rheostat connector.)

Check out connector M in this diagram, that's the rheostat connector, Pin 3 (white/green wire) gets spliced into the ground wire of the illumination.

If you would like to have the gauge only light up with the rest of your stock gauges, you can run +12V from the TAIL fuse in the kickpanel fuse box.

For more information and diagrams, check the TEWD:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/Wiring/pages/Page_062.html

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yah actually i do just want these turning on when i turn on the lights, thats why i picked dimmer switch, will that not do it for me? will they be always on if i use the dimmer?

i could use the tail fuse but im tryin to keep this all clean and local and short wires. (another reason i picked dimmer switch)

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,347 Posts
You need to use the tail fuse and the rheostat control together.

+12V can be accessed how ever you want to do it, but if you want to hook it up to only come on with the rest of the illumination, you're gonna need the +12V to come from the TAIL fuse, luckily for you though, I forgot something, Pin 1 (green wire) on the light control rheostat is +12V from the TAIL fuse.

Basically, splice your gauges into Pin 1 for +12V and Pin 3 for ground from the dimmer, that should work the way you want it to.

Pin 1 is +12V taillight
Pin 2 is N/A
Pin 3 is Dimmer-Controlled Ground
Pin 4 is Ground

Good luck, and I suggest you take a look at the wiring diagrams on the Cygnus site, you should be able to figure this stuff out. I even provided a link to the wiring diagram, lol.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hah thanks man i appreciate it, most wiring work i do in cars gets pretty botched, but eventually i figure it out, i dont wanna botch my supra :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
There is a SMALL problem though. If you hook up too many gauges to the rheostat it will not work, in fact you can blow the rheostat. TRUST me i went through THREE!

The stock Rheostat has an Ohm rating of somwhere around 4, but not much more. I was trying to put over 6.75ohms through it and it didn't like that idea.

So, just be warned to calculate your shit before you go in and short a few things out.

Bryan

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i would dr jonez but i know i can do this, the only things i've done wrong before was like burnt up switches and blown fuses, which is why im being so careful now, i didnt care much about my probe before.

also whats a rheostat? this is probably a dumb question, i bet its the dimmer switch or something....

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
iheart6bangers said:

also whats a rheostat? this is probably a dumb question, i bet its the dimmer switch or something....
"I just lost a buck...TO MYSELF!" ---Rod Farva, Super Troopers

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hahaha, i should watch that movie now to see wheter or not a rheostat is a dimmer switch or not. :D

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
iheart6bangers said:
hahaha, i should watch that movie now to see wheter or not a rheostat is a dimmer switch or not. :D
lol, no need man..its the same penis, different jizz.

ive heard rheostat, dimmer switch, illuminator, and fuckin thingy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts