Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 TT has been releasing white smoke every time I start it up, especially when the engine is cold. I found out that it’s my valve seals. Right? What really needs to be done to it? I took it to a shop and they wanted $1500 for it, which includes a change of timing belt also. Is this a reasonable price? I am in the Los Angeles area and is there a good shop that can do this with a reasonable price? Help me guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate you help Supracar.

Thanks,
Harut A

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
White smoke?!?!? :wtf:

That's not the valve stems, if your valve stems are shot like mine you would get blue smoke.

If you get white smoke its either normal condensed water or bad turbos. What does the smoke smell like and how many miles on your car?

Krister

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
jtanner said:
Mobil One smoke is whitish-gray.

Jim
Thats bullshit.

I have Mobil one in my car and it smokes blue when the valve stems are shot. Ask me how I know.

blue smoke on startup or when idling the car for a few minutes and punch the gas: Valve stem seals.

white smoke: turbo seals or condensation in exhaust.

I can take a few vids of the valve stem seal blue smoke or the condensation smoke with my digicam if you dont believe me.

Krister

J

·
0 Posts
Whoa dude, chill out. I've run Mobil One for quite some time, and have seen grayish smoke on startup. I recall this being mentioned on the MKIV list as well. I've always thought it was valve stems/turbo oil seals. Do the water seals leak into the exhaust when they go?

I'll try to convince my wife to let me drip some Mobil One on her exhaust manifold to see what color it smokes. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
jtanner said:
Whoa dude, chill out. I've run Mobil One for quite some time, and have seen grayish smoke on startup. I recall this being mentioned on the MKIV list as well. I've always thought it was valve stems/turbo oil seals. Do the water seals leak into the exhaust when they go?
Hah, I'm chillin.. I'm just a bit worried that people give wrong advices of things that propably arent even broken... like $1500 for a valve stem seal replacement that propably arent even shot.

I'll try to convince my wife to let me drip some Mobil One on her exhaust manifold to see what color it smokes. :)
You know, theres special kind of lube for that thing, propably works better than Mobil one ;):D:D

Krister

M

·
0 Posts
white smoke prob means one of the seals in your turbo is leaking oil. Unless you have a ton a mileage valve seals wouldnt be the issue.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the help you guys, I think its the Mobil 1 I put in for the first time. Hadn't seen the smoke before untill the oil was changed. So, is that okay? Oh and when I rev it a bit on cold engine startup, it sprays some water from the exaust. What about that?

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Like I said, the white smoke and especially the water indicates that its only condensation water and fume.

Hows the weather there? Whats the temperature?

Krister

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The temp is in the 80s to high 90s here. So, its not my valve seals! But its okay if its only the condensation water and fume?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts