Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have put 150miles on my car after doin the turbo swap and i have checked my oil after every time i drive it . i have noticed that my oil level isnt consistent. the last 3 times i have checked it it has been alittle over full and then it went back to half a court low then back to over full . what could cause this?
thnx

·
Registered
523 Posts
it may be sloshing around.

according to some supra enthusiast it may be good to take a file and make some hash marks on the dipstick so that the oil will be easier to see.

How soon after driving are you checking it?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naw i have done the dipstick mod allready and i can see it pretty good and i check it about 5-10 min after drivin to let the oil settle

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can any 1 help? oil was normal about 2hrs ago and i just got back from a 15 min drive and now my oil is readin over full again.open to anything right now.(oh ya oil is still clean not milky so it cant be coolent gettin into there)

·
The Great Kruso
3,876 Posts
After freshly driving the car you need to wait a while for the oil to settle down. Either you're not putting the dipstick all the way in or putting it in differently or you're not looking at it right.

Kruso

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i do let it settle for like 10-15mins. i have the sogi dipstick mod and i can read the oil clearly.

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
You need to let it settle longer. Ive found its best to check it in the morning before first driving it. It takes a while for all of the oil to drain back into the pan.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya but how it is readin over full when i put the exact amount of oil in it ?

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
conundrum07 said:
You need to let it settle longer. Ive found its best to check it in the morning before first driving it. It takes a while for all of the oil to drain back into the pan.
:agreed:

Always check Before you start the car up in the morning or when it's cold. That way you will have a good and constant reading.

It read overfull because oil is "brewed" by the crank, so it's sloshing around everywhere. I would say a minimum of 2hours before checking the oil level, it's takes a good while for all the oil to come down and settle.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ya i know but if that was the case it would be readin low insted of over full am i now right?and i put 5qts of oil in afteri dropped the motor with a bigger performance oil cooler.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just changed my oil yesterday and let it drip dry for about an hour then replaced it with some 10-30 oil. checked it after i waited an hour to let it settle. checked out about 2mm below the over full mark. i dot in the car started it up drove it for a good 30mins. then i let it set for about 3hour wile i did my freinds timing belt. checked the oil and it was back over full. so i drained some oil till it was ok. drove it for another good 30 mins.i let it set over nite checked it this morning and its back over full. if any 1 could tell me how this is happenin it would be great. thnx for all the post

·
wha huh?
952 Posts
magical oil fairies are insuring you against rod knock...heheh, j/k. Maybe oil is getting trapped in your oil return line from the turbo, and when you drive it, it runs out of the pipe? i dunno anything beyond that

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
k to sum it up should i even worry about this prob or could it affect my engine in a bad way if so how?thnx

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
bah, running a bit more oil isn't bad at all, it's even a good way to avoid rod knock. You could run like 1/8" more oil on the dip stick without any problem. As long that you're full is alright.

Just to be sure, when you do an oil change, after you have change the oil filter(you can fill it with oil before)fill the engine wit oil until it's full, than start the car for like 5sec, to fill the oil filter completly and all other places, stop the engine and fill it backup.

·
...heading for 500+ RWHP
467 Posts
A little over full is not bad....just not to much.....some seals don't react to that too well.....:rolleyes: how's your oil pressure reading while driving(after car has warmed up)?

·
Just say no to Supras
2,292 Posts
heh, dont worry about it. Im running somewhere between .5 - 1 quarts over right now. I usually fill with a little over 5 quarts. Too much oil (to a point) isnt a bad thing; too little on the other hand...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts