Supra Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yeah, that was one of the first things that I did back when I first got the car. I had some R-12 but, I decided that, rather than chase it if I ever encountered a leak or had to open up the system it was just easier to do the conversion to R-134. Now, it seems like that, was a good idea because, the car has sat since the summer of 2019 it appears that it’s got a deminimus refrigerant leak. I noticed it last fall, the A/C wasn’t cold and oddly the heater wasn’t blowing hot air either. Hopefully, when I flush the radiator and heater core it will get cleaned out as well. I might have to create a smaller loop and try and clean the heater core separately. The heater control valve is going to get a closer look as well but, I need to locate it and remove it and see if it can be cleaned or needs to be replaced. Anyway, I’m still playing the waiting game for parts.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The expansion valve for R134 and R12 is different. From my understanding the R134 with our MK3 expansion valve will 'work' but not very well. There was a tutorial retrofit thread on SM, but I guess that's gone now, rip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's really pretty easy to get the evaporator out without taking out the whole dash, so replacing the expansion valve is no big deal. Besides, you can also clean the old oil out of the evaporator at the same time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cheers for that @3p141592654 , the SM writeup is still available on the wayback machine as well:

On the note of that conversion - anyone knows what exactly is the part the TSB refers to? Seems to be just a drier tank, missing the fitting block from what I can see. But the unit in the A70 has the fitting block as part of the tank itself.

I get cross-referenced to this from the TSB: https://www.autodoc.co.uk/mahle-original/15288221
When what fits is apparently according to the SM writeup is this: 88471-95401 Genuine Toyota RECEIVER & DRYER ASSY, COOLER

Any ideas?

·
Registered
183 Posts
FWIW, I replaced my expansion valve because I wanted to make sure to replace every seal in the system. A new one didn't cost much.

One note on at TSB - when you add the R-134a, put a little over the maximum specified. It says 650g, but I'm pretty sure I put about 700g in there. It just works a little better. Don't go too overboard, though.

The receiver/dryer for the MkIII has the inspection window on the front, and looks just like the "BAG type" in the TSB. I forget where I got my new one, but can look it up when I get home. Rock Auto carries the Denso 4780108 and other options that all look right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
FWIW, I replaced my expansion valve because I wanted to make sure to replace every seal in the system. A new one didn't cost much.

One note on at TSB - when you add the R-134a, put a little over the maximum specified. It says 650g, but I'm pretty sure I put about 700g in there. It just works a little better. Don't go too overboard, though.

The receiver/dryer for the MkIII has the inspection window on the front, and looks just like the "BAG type" in the TSB. I forget where I got my new one, but can look it up when I get home. Rock Auto carries the Denso 4780108 and other options that all look right.
Hmm, not having much luck with that part either. What's the threads on the drier? I'm finding many similar parts with 5/8"-18 on both inlet and outlet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmm, not having much luck with that part either. What's the threads on the drier? I'm finding many similar parts with 5/8"-18 on both inlet and outlet.
Strange. Rock Auto has 4 brands listed. I'm sure the one from Four Seasons will work just fine. I search for "Denso 4780108" and find them on Amazon and eBay. The "real" part number is 478-0108. NAPA Online has a listing for their version (TEM 208700) and claims "14mm Male Insert O-Ring" for the ports. They're definitely metric. I have no way of measuring mine as it's installed and threw away the old one years ago.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, colour me impressed. I wasn't counting on Rock Auto having such reasonable intl shipping (I'm not in the US). Just 13€ and some 8€ for the part itself means I don't even have to pay import tax. Cheers!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts