Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a JVC KD-SH99 Headunit in my 95 NA...........

I have not used any wiring that was already in the car.......

Meaning, I ran my own power, acc, ground, & speaker wiring..........
I simply unhooked the headunit & amp, and removed them leaving all factory wiring intact (as I may reinstall later)

My questions are.....
What wire should I connect the power antenna lead on my stereo to on my car? To get the antenna to go up when the radio is on.....

And also what wire should I connect the dimmer wire on my stereo to......so that it dims the headunit when the lights turn on....

Thank You for your Help!
Jason
95NA

·
road hazard
452 Posts
hey jason, whats up...this is billy. sorry i haven't sent you the measurements for my box any sooner. i've been busy with my cousin's wedding. being best man rules! anyways, here are the dimensions of the box...
its a rhombus so...

all measurements are in inches and this is for 2 8inch JL audios.

email me for any questions.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has anyone ever wired up a stereo without using factory wiring?.....besides me?

billy how did you set up your components and such? what kind of amp do you have running your mids & highs?

I decided against cutting up the factory wiring because I wanted to use my own larger speaker wire, I'm goin to mount one of the amps under the seat, and mostly because I probably won't be selling the headunit & Subs with the car on down the road.......

Bill, man thanks a lot for those dimensions......do you have any pics of your top in storage with the box ?? Im going to construct a cardboard model first and see what kind of changes I can make to get maybe 2 10 inchers in there.......

Jason.
95 NA

·
road hazard
452 Posts
jason, if you want plug-and-play without touching your factory wires, just use a wiring harness for a toyota years 87-on. go in to any car stereo shop and get one. then wire up the harness to the stereo and just plug-and-play. you won't need to cut up any factory wires.

if the head unit has preouts, then you're good to go with hooking up your amps and speakers. just wire up the rca cables, power line, ground, and lead-on, and the rest is fine tuning with the speakers.

right now, i'm running my components from the stock amp. it sounds ok but has a lot more potential. i'm gonna get to it when i have time. my subs are powered by an mtx amp using the preouts from my head unit.

also, i'm using the stock speaker wire. i'll be changing it, again, once i have the time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is I already have installed the head unit........I tried to buy an adapter and it did not fit... Even if i did that, It wouldnt have helped if i removed the amp because the factory radio has a remote power turn on......and when you disconnect the amp it disables all of those remote turnons.

SO, back to the question at hand though......
Maybe Thomas or Ranger could help too..
If I were to run the remote antenna wire from the headunit to the back of the car.....where the power antenna is ....what wire would i connect to trigger the antenna to power up.....
there is two larger guage wires, that i assume is for the power and then there is a few smaller wires in a harness.....i was thinking maybe it was one of those, any help?

Also I see, on the stock radio mounting bracket, an orange box that says power antenna relay.......so i would think one of those wires would be a remote power switch...
ANY HELP PLEASE!

THANX,
Jason

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
funny thing is the adaptor works, but you dont connect it behind the radio it plugs in near the amp and you have to run the wires up to the radio as for speakers you did not have to run wires to then also just t-tap the existing ones near amp !!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lets see there should be three power wires (yellow, red and black), and all the speaker ones (they should all be pairs), i think that leaves the blue wire as the power antenna.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sigh......

(Mark: Where might I find this blue wire.?
I think you are giving me a general answer as to the color coding of the stereo wires..)

I don't know where this blue wire would be....and with the stock amplifier removed I don't think any power wires going to the headunit would do anything.....

Should I take out everything I have done for the sake of simplicity?

I just need to know where I could splice into a remote turn-on wire for the dimmer and the antenna WITHOUT using any of the factory Stereo wiring......I mean that factory wiring has to start somewhere.......
Keep up the suggestions!
Anything can help at this point!!
Thank You all so much,
Jason
95 NA

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question guys, Is that blue wire located under the passanger seat? I don't want to take apart the dash again just to get to the antenna wire...Also is the blue wire on the original harness or is that coming off your aftermarket adapter. Thanks..

Patrick.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i think the blue wire would be one of the factory ones running into the back of the factory stereo harness. i think you said you left all the factory wires intact. i am not sure why you would want to run a new one of these since a wire you installed would do the exact same thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your help and Thanks Bryan I know which wires you are talking about exactly.! These wires also run down toward the amp & back of the car.......

I'm going to try to wire it up in a little while. I'll let you know tonight how it goes.......Thanx again!

Pics to be posted soon!

Jason

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Jason, sorry I wasn't able to reply to your question earlier... Thanks for the compliments about my install. Regarding yoru wiring question, you're definitely getting some very general responses about aftermarket stereo wiring colors. The toyota factory wiring doesn't coincide with aftermarket norms. You're actually going to need to connect your power antenna wire from your radio to two wires in the factory harness(all 3wires need to be joined). The wires in the factory harness are the black/red and pink/blue wires on the leftmost side of the plug as it went into your factory stereo. You can also follow them up to the antenna realy box on the top of the radio mounting frame, and tap into them there(or anywhere along the way for that matter). For the dimmer, I'm pretty sure I tapped into a wire going to the ciagarette lighter. Not sure what color it was. You'll probably want to confirm with a voltmeter or test light. Sorry I'm a little rusty, I wired everything up quite a while ago. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I'll try to respond a little more quickly :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts