Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i got a 95 n/a. recently i've been noticing a loud sputtering noise coming underneath the car when i'm driving. the more gas i put in the louder the sputtering noise gets. what could it be because it's bugging the crap out of me. thanks all...

S

·
0 Posts
Does it feel like it's missing? Could check air filter, plugs, timing, fuel filter, plug wires, coil, etc.

If not, maybe an exhaust leak?

R

·
0 Posts
It's an exhaust leak. I have one myself and all you need to do is loosen the nuts and then tighten them back up and it should work.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
i just noticed something like that tonight... but i only hear it after 5k rpm's all the way to redline in 3rd and 4th gear (didn't go that high in 5th) and i noticed that it's coming from the exhaust... how could i tell the difference between an exhaust leak and a clogged cat? ryan you say to loosen the nuts and then tighten them back... sorry if this is a dumb question but, why loosen them?

edit: another thing i thought is it might be normal because my new exhaust isn't smooth sounding, it's more of a rumbly sound... i don't know what it is... HELP

·
road hazard
452 Posts
update on my rattling...

my catalytic converter was causing the rattling noise. it was pretty beat up inside when he took it off. he put a hi-flow cat on my mkiv and no more rattling.

on a note, i have a greddy sp exhaust. i found out that the diameter of the piping between the first cat and second cat is 2.5in. from the second cat and back, the piping is 3in.

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
what kind of high-flow cat? i've wondering wherre i could get one? and another question... with a air filter and drager 2 exhaust, should i pass ca emissions... i need to the smog check already.

S

·
0 Posts
rom said:
hey all, i got a 95 n/a. recently i've been noticing a loud sputtering noise coming underneath the car when i'm driving. the more gas i put in the louder the sputtering noise gets. what could it be because it's bugging the crap out of me. thanks all...
do you get it when your driving with overdrive off?! Cause when i'd get near 5k-6k rpm in the 3rd gear with overdrive off the pedal'll shake and it'll do a muttering noise. Is that the same thing that you're talking about?!

Rob~

Added: O sorry lol didnt see you already fixed the problem, well if you had the same problem as me just lmk so maybe I could fix it as well. Thanks

S

·
0 Posts
hmm cause when i'd get onto I-565 i'd get up to about 80 mph so i could catch up and merge with traffic and with the overdrive off it starts buzzing and the pedal shakes and sounds REALLY bad... so i dun know whats up?

Rob~

·
« f ï z z | ë »
761 Posts
if i go under my car, how do i check for an exhaust leak? i'm also thinking about the that broken exhaust bracket... maybe it's both... rom did you fix the problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts