Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm debating between tein HA, flex, and CS coilovers

is anyone using tein type CS (ie comfort spec) coilovers?

_i have searched_ and there are lots of people using tein HAs and tein Flex but i haven't seen anyone with tein type CS

for those who don't know what tein CS's are see this site for more info
http://www.mohdparts.com/tein/index.html#For 1993-1998 Supra TT & NA

reason i ask is there have been quite a few people with HAs and Flexs who have said it is too hard for daily driving even on the softest setting.

where i live the roads are _crap_ so what i'm trying to achieve is an electronically adjustable suspension that i can adjust from soft to hard from the cabin on the go.

the tein EDFC (electronic dampener force controller) allows you to do this and work with the CS, and Flex coilovers. some people have also been able to get it to work with HA coilovers.

- the _critical_ requirement for me is that at the softest setting i would like it to be as soft as stock, or pretty close to this softest, and at the hardest setting as hard as possible. my driving style fluctuates from daily driving to flat out (...i'm sure almost everyone who owns a supra drives like this too!!).

- my understanding is with tein HAs and Flex the softest setting is still a lot harder than stock. to me this seems like a waste of adjustabilitly if you use an EDFC as i would think the whole point of the EDFC in a street environment is to allow near instant adjusting between stock and hard, rather than hard and rock hard (which would be too harsh for street driving and so would never be used)

- btw i do not circuit race.

so to summarise my questions are
1) for street use in a daily driver that does NOT do track racing is tein HA, Flex or CS the most suitable

2) for those already using type HA or Flex what dampener setting do you use? ie how many clicks in softer or harder direction? [answering this will give me and others an idea as to how hard they are ie where the range of adjustments is - see diagram below]

3) if anyone is using an EDFC with the tein, does it keep the settings in memory when you turn your car off? there was a thread somewhere on this forum about someone who had to reenter the settings each time as the setting memory got erased each time car is turned off - i suspect this was just a bad install.

thanks for your help

below is how i see the adjustability range of tein coilovers...

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
FLEX arent hard, HAs are pretty stiff, RAs are the stiff ones. I have the FLEX coilovers right now and they are pretty soft, I was thinking about going to RAs with the EDFC, but I want to be able to drive the car and not have to try and think out my path and wonder if the roads are bumpy.

AFAIK the EDFC works with the FLEX, the HA, the RA and you say the CS. If you want comfort, then CS is the way to go.

actually you may want to just think about a nice shock spring combo, since you said you dont circuit race. they will lower your car, and help handling, but the ride will most likely be softer than almost all coilovers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys

i keep getting conflicting information - some people say tein flex on the softest setting is still too hard for _daily_ street use ie much harder than stock, but the impression i get from above is that the softest setting is close to stock :scratch: :dunno:

i guess everyone has a different preference for stiffness but can someone give their opinion Re - how close to stock stiffness is a tein type flex at it's softest setting?

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
FLEX at its softest setting isnt that much harder than stock, as for if its soft enough to daily drive, well thats just personal preference, im generally crazier than the normal person.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LYTLdiablo said:
FLEX at its softest setting isnt that much harder than stock, as for if its soft enough to daily drive, well thats just personal preference, im generally crazier than the normal person.
thanks for the info again LYTLdiablo, have you got the pillow mounts as well? i hear it's supposed to make the ride a bit harder.

now if there are any less crazy people out there using tein flex as a daily driver yell out... i'm not a boxer and do a lot of long distance driving so i don't want to get pounded all day as i drive

i really would like to hear from anyone else who uses tein flexs or HAs on a daily basis and how you find the ride

thanks guys

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
x X CLoud X x said:
i love my ha's, hug turns easily over 150+, softest setting is a bit stiffer then stock
nice car you have there - how big are those wheels? 19in?

i agree that stiff coilovers are absolutely essential even at BPU for added safety when driving hard (150+ round bends is scary though!) which is why i'm thinking of the EDFC to have the best of both worlds, ie soft when daily driving and stiff when driving hard.

so xxcloudxx what dampener setting are you using for your HAs?

also is there anyone on supraforums using Tein type CS coilovers?

·
BIG DICK BANDIT
322 Posts
go with the HA

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Catch28 said:
go with the HA
seriously considering HAs - just my main concern is some people have said even at softest setting it is a lot harder than stock and so unsuitable for a daily driver... but others say it's very close to stock - i can't seem to get a straight answer on this

keep the feed back coming...

below is some info from the tein web site photochoped for comparison. spring rates seem to be different... oh and PRICE by $500 US!!

·
ankle breaker...
128 Posts
I don't think the RA's work with the EDFC's...
i could be wrong, but i'm pretty sure

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
I'm pretty sure they do, AFAIK they are just HAs with an aluminum body and stiffer springs. Also, Ken H. told me in the past he believes that the EDFC works on em, anyone else like to confirm this?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
EDFC does work with tein HAs but just not guaranteed to work, just depends on how much thread you have sticking out i think - ie if there is enought thread to attach the EDFC

now i've just realised the above diagram is wrong as the flex specs are for MKIII so i've attached a corrected version.

** has anyone used tein flexs and found them too hard for daily driving even on the softest setting - and then got them removed? i'm considering getting them but don't want to have an unbearbly hard ride.

S

·
0 Posts
playb0i said:
have the tein flex LOVE THEM.
Awesome, I have my Tein Type Flex in my room right now waiting to be installed. I am glad to hear that the flex isnt all that much stiff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts