Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed all of the windshield wipers, all of the screws holding the cowl on, but I'm stuck on the damn clips. I tried squeezing them from the bottom with a needle-nose plier - that didn't work. I tried pulling from the top but was afraid they'd break. Any suggestions? (pic inserted for reference)

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,527 Posts
You have to squeeze them from the top, just under the part you can see. It's difficult. You will break several of them. IIRC there are 12 of them. Be prepared to replace them with new ones from Toyota.

Sometimes you can get a very thin blade under one side, and then get another blade unde the other side, squeeze and pull up.

Don't forget the 2 christmas-tree clips, one on each side on the trailing edge.

·
2007 FSAE World Champion
1,291 Posts
These clips were very tedious and a PITA to remove for me. I was able to do it without breaking them and I used to small screw drives to disengage the clips normally from the bottom side and pop them out, but there were a couple that had to be done from the top which were more difficult.

·
Administrator
8,769 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to squeeze them from the top, just under the part you can see. It's difficult. You will break several of them. IIRC there are 12 of them. Be prepared to replace them with new ones from Toyota.

Sometimes you can get a very thin blade under one side, and then get another blade unde the other side, squeeze and pull up.

Don't forget the 2 christmas-tree clips, one on each side on the trailing edge.
Should i buy 2 new Christmas-tree clips? I am just planning on buying a dozen new hood clips so i could do it at the same time.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,527 Posts
Should i buy 2 new Christmas-tree clips? I am just planning on buying a dozen new hood clips so i could do it at the same time.
They're cheap. I would. They can be reused though...they don't break like the "T" clips do.

·
From the land down under
4,217 Posts
Glad I read this thread, as I am ordering another cowl, before they get discontinued too, and knowing which clips will most likely break makes ordering new ones a no brainer for me :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts