Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought the car it had white faces gauges. I thought, 'Cool, one less mod I'll have to do to make it the way I want it.'

Then I got to drive it at night and upon turning on the headlights realized that the gauges were EL, which I'm not a fan of. I took it all apart and the gauges themselves have a two-wire lead coming off of each one that goes down by the ashtray where the transformer is located.

What I want to know is how the original lights in the dash are powered. I'm trying to leave the white face gauge overlays and then have the OEM bulbs light the dash until I can order up a set of the blue LED OEM replacements.

So, what's the easiest way to undo this?

Thanks!

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
Those EL gauges are just overlays, the factory gauges are more than likely still lit up behind those overlays, so if you were to disconnect the power to the overlays and leave them on I do not think that the factory lights will shine through. You would need to take them off completely until you did the LED conversion, otherwise you are either stuck with the EL or no lights at all.

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ryanrayburn said:
Those EL gauges are just overlays, the factory gauges are more than likely still lit up behind those overlays, so if you were to disconnect the power to the overlays and leave them on I do not think that the factory lights will shine through. You would need to take them off completely until you did the LED conversion, otherwise you are either stuck with the EL or no lights at all.
So you're saying that the OEM lights are probably (unless burnt out) on underneath and were never disconnected since the overlay is not translucent. In other words, I should be able to take the overlays off and have the OEM look gauges and lights for now, right? The guy that had this before me was a real hack and I spent the first two weeks of ownership fixing all his phuk ups and was afraid he cut the OEM illumination wire but you're saying that there's still hope yet, right?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts

·
11,221 Posts
The OEM bulbs should still be intacted. The bulbs won't shine through the EL though, even with LEDs.

If you looking for blue replacement, hit me up.

·
TC Motorsports
404 Posts
jeremyhelling said:
So you're saying that the OEM lights are probably (unless burnt out) on underneath and were never disconnected since the overlay is not translucent. In other words, I should be able to take the overlays off and have the OEM look gauges and lights for now, right? The guy that had this before me was a real hack and I spent the first two weeks of ownership fixing all his phuk ups and was afraid he cut the OEM illumination wire but you're saying that there's still hope yet, right?

I know what you mean about hack jobs, that is the unfortunate part about buying a car with several owners.

The lights should still be working. If I were you I would carefully take those overlays off and find out. When installing the EL overlays you shoudl just tap into the 12V source and the grounds so hopefully he did not cut the fatory wiring completely, if he did you still should be able to match up all the wire colors and resolder them back.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
michaelvanle said:
The OEM bulbs should still be intacted. The bulbs won't shine through the EL though, even with LEDs.

If you looking for blue replacement, hit me up.

um post pics so you can show him what you mean ;)

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay, thanks for the info. I pulled all the EL stuff out and not lights. Then I realized the dimmer switch wasn't plugged in. Plugged that puppy in and BAM! Lights! I forgot how much I liked the OEM black gauges too so I'm glad it's not gonna take too much work to get everything back to OEMish.

New problem: I was careful not to move the needles and pull them straight up and then put them back. (Edit: Now I see the link that says NOT to remove them... ugh) The speedo and tach though are now off and here's the pics:

Key off
*Picture Deleted*

Key on
*Picture Deleted*

So how do I calibrate these?

·
A right, not a privilege
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nevermind, I just found this thread explaining that you just do it w/the key turned to ACC. Ugh.. now I gotta take it all apart again. Good thing I didn't get all the dash parts and what not back in.

Thanks everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts