Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. For those that have goodridge stainless steel brakelines if you can please chime in, I would greatly appreciate it. Let me explain the problem first. A few months ago, I started noticing some leaking from my passenger rear brake lines. The lines were on the car when I purchase it. It is the goodridge stainless steel brakeline. Well it started leaking from the top. Thinking it was due to some washer or gasket or even the line itself, I went ahead and purchase another kit from tirerack. The same kit that was installed on the car. The Goodridge Brakeline for 93-98 Supra. After taking off the leaking one and installing the new line to the rear, the leak has stopped.

Anyways, observing the old line versus the new one. It seems like the flares are different. One is inverted and one isn't. Here is the picture.

The left is of course the new line. The right is the old one that came off the car. My question is, should it be inverted or not inverted. I am a bit puzzle and the person at Goodridge isn't going to replace the incorrect line. It is odd that the brakeline just started leaking in the last 4-5 months. Its not leaking very bad. Just a few drop here and there. I put in the new line from the new kit and it bolted up just fine. No more leaking. In any case, goodridge has a lifetime warranty on their product. I sent the old line to them and they tested it out. The test showed that it didn't leak.

Here is the response I got from Goodridge:

"The line itself did not leak when tested and the fact that it was on your car for a number of years without leaking seems strange considering that the flare, as you claim, is incorrect. I have never seen a situation where a line would not leak from the very beginning if the sealing surfaces did not match. Often a small scratch can cause a leak. I've inspected the seat on the line you sent and there has definitely been wear as if it was mated to a fitting with the correct flare. Because of all of the above, I cannot, in my judgement, say that the line failed."

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
what got me confused is, the goodridge kit that was purchased before and the one that I purchased recently, the flares are different? I am thinking the flares got mixed up in the old kit but somehow the owner got it installed on the car. well anyone has any input, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

· Factory RSP Hardtopper
2015 Ram 2500 Coal Roller
2,925 Posts
Was it teflon taped on the car? Almost always not matching flares will cause leaks unless glue or tape is used.

· Registered
542 Posts
the new one on the left looks like the correct fitting. i had a similar fitment issue when i bought my goodridge lines from tirerack. one of the front lines had a slightly different fitting than the rest which caused a leak. tirerack shipped me the correct line. teflon tape not required. the threads are not source of the leak. you need a tight connection between the end of the hard line and cone part of the goodridge brake line.

· YAA Buddy!!
335 Posts
Why would you buy them from tirerack? But i agree with them more than likely being taped. You should look for tape residue in the calipers, when the lines are off. You never use teflon tape with things like this. Hence the flared ends and corresponding fittings.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the new one on the left looks like the correct fitting. i had a similar fitment issue when i bought my goodridge lines from tirerack. one of the front lines had a slightly different fitting than the rest which caused a leak. tirerack shipped me the correct line. teflon tape not required. the threads are not source of the leak. you need a tight connection between the end of the hard line and cone part of the goodridge brake line.
looks like the same thing happen to me. thank you for your response. :)

· Registered
758 Posts
I know that Goodridge has seen this before.I ran into this same situation when I bought a Goodridge kit for my Celica. I called them up before I installed the kit and they told me that I needed the inner missing flair piece. They sent them out and I was able to install the lines with no further problems.

· Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anymore experience/proof that the line that i had on the car is incorrect? anything i should bring up or make a point of so i can clearly show them that the part is incorrect and that they should replace the line with the correct line. thank you all again

· HK USP 45c
394 Posts
I had the same problem when I swapped out the lines. I even had to replace my stock hardlines in the rear because they were overtorqued from the factory and the flared portion of the hardline was damaged. I also had a problem with one of the front ss lines. Seemed like the threading portion of it was too long causing it to not hold any pressure. I machined off 3mm of the ss threading and the problem was fixed. It's odd, Goodridge makes some damn good stuff but whoever desinged the mkiv lines is a complete tard.

· Registered
34 Posts
same problem here (italy, Lhd euro spec Supra) with Goodridge brake hoses, only on the rear lines, both are different flare type and after mounted they leak badly, right now i've only the front pair mounted on without problem.

I had bought mine in uk just for information.

· HK USP 45c
394 Posts
If I remember correctly there was a thread here on SF about the 93-95(96?)'s stock lines being overtorqued. Maybe that caused the flare on the stock hose to buckle?? Just throwing out ideas, I'll see if I can find that thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.