Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Little Jessica
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i own a 1987 supra non turbo 5 spd.

i will post some pictures up tomorrow when i take them, but where should i start engine wise?

- but the engine is my most concern, i want more power (in till i get a turbo) but as in just doing some major restoring, and engine performance, what should i start with.

- and does anyone know? where i can find headlight conversion kits, so i dont have to have flip up's.

Thank You Guys So Much!

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Engine wise, you should start with maintenance. Make sure as much as possible is in good working order. Replace brittle hoses, drain and replace all fluids etc etc. Check the compression also, if the numbers are iffy, then you may need to consider a different route.

Power in an NA is going to be very minimal and NOT worth the money invested. So I recommend getting everything in good working order and consider a turbo swap later down the road.

There are no "headlight conversion kits" available for MK3 Supras. If you want non pop-up headlights, the most sensible option is to get something custom.

-Alex

· MUDKIP FARMER
11,112 Posts
Yep just get the rest of the car in perfect working order until you do a turbo swap.

you can find good 7M's used for cheap, and better yet sometimes people sell built 7m-gtes for VERY reasonable prices.

BTW - you want pop-up lights.

You might not think so, but you do.

The flush kits (that are custom done) usually are no where near as effective at actually lighting the road. If you want something lower profile look into the NSX light conversion (takes some fabrication skills)

· Acceleration
4,291 Posts
Do a tune up, replace old hoses, and fix anything that's broken or looks like it needs to be replaced. Get the 7MGE running in tip-top shape FIRST.

Then, start with a nice cold air intake. Civic kits actually work pretty well, most even include a new 3" cone air filter. You will also need a 3" afm adaptor to put the filter on. I improved mine further by cutting a hole underneath the headlight and routed more piping down in the foglight hole so the filter would get colder air. This what it looked like:

Next, I would recommend a 3" catback. You will get a substantial power increase and it will feel like a completely different car. My 3" exhaust was the best mod I ever did when I was NA. On top of that, when you decide to go turbo you can reuse the exhaust. There are lots of exhausts that are pre-made to fit our cars, or you can go to a muffler shop and have them weld you a custom catback.

There is a member on supramania that sells flush mount headlights kits. They're very nice IMO. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26477&highlight=headlight+conversion

HTH
-Craig

· Banned
7,225 Posts
Hey the pics on the other site aren't showing up... or maybe I missed them. Were they supposed to be on the first page, or how far into it do I gotta look?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.