Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, We were working on Euphoric's car tonight, we got it running, and idling nice and clean w/ the SFC and VPC both set to 0. Off idle, if you punch it, it revs quickly and does fine, if you try to just roll the throttle on, it stumbles a little untill it hits 2000-2500 or so, then cleans up... Any ideas? I'm thinking it may be because the plugs are fouled... basically the car ran for 15 minutes (total over a couple different starts) Just dumping raw fuel out the exhaust... Could fouled plugs cause this? Any ideas??? Also, he's got an Autometer Silver faced A/F Gauge (w/ the ring of LED's aroudn the outisde) and it bounces around like crazy... (goes up to one particular point, I'm assuming how rich/lean it's actually running) then bounces back down to the bottom... I've heard the gauges like to bounce like this... should we just accept it?

Gracias yo.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just my 2 cents

Have you guys cleared the ECU? I'm saying you should disconnect the EFI fuse(or better yet, just remove the battery ground) for like 15 minutes. Then reconnect and start the car up.

This will "reset" the ECU and reinitialize the learning process again.

HTH
Stan

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah.. the batteries been off the car for days at a time... Any other thoughts?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SFC??? Or you mean S-AFC?

Hi,

Can you "remove" the S-AFC connections from the car. I know the S-AFC has to be setup properly before you can run the car, etc.

What you want to do is isolate the problem, so I'm trying to see if the S-AFC is the problem. After removing the S-AFC wiring from the car(be sure to connect back what needs to be to have the car running again), please reset the ECU by the previous post.

Is the VPC brand new, or was it purchased used? I'm trying to see if you have the right EPROM in there.

Stan

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well we didn't cut any wires to intall the SFC... just t-tapped them... we can turn it off though... that way just the normal signal would pass through them... only problem is no MAF anymore :) the VPC has the right chip (now) it started w/ the wrong one but he figured that one out and got the right one...

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VPC problems

Is it possible to connect the stock MAF back? Just to see if the problem lies in the VPC?

I know the VPC has some DIP switch settings in there, I hope no one changed those.

Well, off the topic, I installed the wrong EPROM in my PFC FCON and blew my stock ECU, had to buy a used ECU from a junkyard, and had HKS check the FCON and EPROM for me. This is with the MKIII, I don't own an MKIV, wish I did though.

Maybe you should let the car idle for 15 minutes to "learn" again.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Stan

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmm... well we don't have a maf to try it with :D hehe... got sold... Thanks for the ideas.. I completely forgot about the "learning curve"... I'm gonna check for vacuum leaks and such, and i guess we're gonna have to stop taking the battery off at night so we stop clearing the damn computer

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for kicks

Maybe you should try and check the ignition timing with a good timing light.

Check the timing when "punching the throttle" and when "slowly ramping up the throttle" and see if the timing are the same with either. Be sure to "punch the throttle" and "ramp the throttle" to the same rpm(i.e. say from idle 700rpm to 3000rpm or so).

I'm just curious to see how the ignition jumps on either.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts