Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
installing the GReddy pulley set and i need to know how i can break the crank pulley bolt. 3/4" impact gun won't break it loose! and i don not like bumping the engin to attempt to break it loose. is there a specialty tool for the crank pulley to hold it while i can use a breaker bar like for Domestics? please give me all the info on the tool.

·
Sleeper King
2,235 Posts
trd,
I just changed my timing belt and had a tough time with the crank pulley myself.

To keep the crank from moving while trying to break the bolt free, put the car in first and put on the emergency brake first :) Secondly, take a pair of good vice grips (preferrably no teeth) and place the grips on the balancer so that it bumps against the metal bracket for the power steering. Make sure that that grip is damn tight, or you will mar the surface of the balancer.
May not work for you but its worth a shot.

chris

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
TRD wide-body [email protected] said:
installing the GReddy pulley set and i need to know how i can break the crank pulley bolt. 3/4" impact gun won't break it loose! and i don not like bumping the engin to attempt to break it loose. is there a specialty tool for the crank pulley to hold it while i can use a breaker bar like for Domestics? please give me all the info on the tool.
Does the Greddy pulley set come with a dampner on the crank pulley? The only Greddy pulley set I know of only has water pump, power steering and alternator. Thanks

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Why don't you want to use the starter motor/breaker bar method? Works great, no damage.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GReddy does have the crank pulley but it was a special order from Japan. i have a connection in the Phillipinnes and got 'em through there along with JDM tail lamps. the tails are true 50/50 red/clear with the reflectors in both red lenses!

well, i tried bumping it and it did'nt work.i don't like "bumping" the engine because i have had a lot of mishaps with that method. it also places a lot of stress on the starter too. i know a lot of guys do it, but i don't like it. i know there has to be a specialty tool for it to hold while you break it loose with a breaker bar. i just don't know who makes it or where to get it. all the mechanic's tool shops know about domestics and therefore stock domestic specialty tools. any lead would be greatly appreciated.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
TRD wide-body [email protected] said:
Put the car in 6th (not 1st) and put the emergency brake on. Then get a 2' breaker bar with a 6' pipe, and an IMPACT 22mm socket. This has worked for me on several cars.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes there is a tool to hold the balancer (p/n is in the repair manual) but, these guys are right, using the starter is the best way for a real difficult bolt. The tool has a collar with 2 bolts that go through into the balancer and the handle locks onto the collar. I always use it to retorque the bolt but always wound up using the starter to crack loose the bolt. I put a jack stand off to the side and rest the handle of the breaker bar on it. I always put a piece of wood in front of the radiator just in case. It really isn't that bad for the starter/flywheel, you aren't going to hurt it. Just use a 6 point impact socket and take the slack out of the breaker bar before you hit the key. It only takes a real quick hit from the key.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts