Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
rip supra, new car soon
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay. This is one for you technical genius's. Sometimes I will go to start my car and it won't start. It's not the battery as I'm still getting power to the car (guage lights, headlights, turns, etc. all work. The starter isn't bad because the car will start 80% of the time just fine no problem. When I go to turn the key there is just a click that sounds like it's coming from the glove box, and the car doesn't turn over, no engine noises, nothing. Just that damn click. I am thinking it's the factory security system. The dumb whore who owned the car before me had some serious ghetto ass people work on the car. I have to unlock the car from the passenger side with two turns to the left to undo the security system. If I go and try to do it from the driver's side it sets the alarm off. Now after fixing the window, the alarm goes off no matter what I do, so I've just kept the car unlocked. It'll go off and I can't shut it off, I just have to let it die out after a minute or two. But back to the starting problem. i think it might be a problem with the security system having some sort of starter lock? or starter killswitch? when the security system is activated or tampered with, I'm not sure. Any Idea's guys? I've been living with this problem for too long and it really really sucks becuase I'll have to go to work or school and the fuckin piece won't start, no matter what I try to do to fix it (lock and unlock the car, disconnect the battery, turn the key 1000000 times, replace all fuses) I just can't figure it out. Then I'll go back to the car an hour to a day later and it'll all of a sudden start? I won't touch it or change a thing and now it wants to start? I'm just fuckin pissed with the car. PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
The fact that it's random makes me think it's not your security lockout. Supra owners have reported this problem and sometimes it stems from a faulty engine wiring system. The heat makes the wiring old and brittle. What I did to alleviate this problem was wire a jumper directly from the + battery terminal to the start wire going to the starter via a start switch that I mounted in the car. It bypasses the ignition system that the original wiring has to go through. Before you rig the whole thing up, just jump a wire from the battery to the single start wire going to the starter with the ignition on "ON", the next time it malfunctions. MAKE SURE YOU'RE CLEAR OF ANY MOVING PARTS BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO JUMP.
Check it out and see if that is your problem.
hth

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
What year is your car?

If you want to take the alarm out of the scenario, lets try disabling it...

Go to either kick panel (left of driver, right of passenger)

Find the purple wire with yellow stripe on it.
I think it's positive at rest so all you should have to do is ground it and that should disable the system.
If it's negative at rest then just apply positive and that should disable it.
It's one or the other, see if you can probe it first before you apply anything and blow fuses, worst case scenario you just replace whatever fuse it blows.

Goodluck!

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
I have the same problem, and my Anti-Theft also doesn't work, But I have some really GHETTO wiring going on on my car. I can't wait to remove it...

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
1. disable the alarm
2. if problem continues i'd def. look into getting a new/used starter or replace your contacts.

the clicking and random starting/stopping of the starter is def. an indication for starter failer. i had the same problem. bunch of clicks, nothing....towed the thing home...as soon as it got towed home it started. lol

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Years ago, I replaced my starter 3 times thinking that was my problem but it turned out to be that wiring problem. See post #3.
I guess every case is unique but a lot of Supra owners have cmplained of the same problem and fixed it with the rewiring.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow. In my time here at Supraforums; this has to be the subject that comes up the most in MKIII.

It is your starter.
GO get a replacement started and do not get the cheapest one.
I've been through about 7.
The first 5 were Worldwide starters and each lasted about a month.
I'd go to start it and it wouldn't work unless I banged on it with an 18" extension or I let it cool.
The last time I went into Advance and said " I want to pay the difference between this one and the best you have instead of just giving me another.
That was three years ago and I have not had a problem since.

·
Registered
428 Posts
And to answer your next imminent query:
You will need the aformentioned 18" extension. A universal joint and socket.
Insert said apparatus from behind the tranny bell housing and try not to hit yourself in the face with a wrench or socket...
You will need a box wrench to hold the nut on the opposite side.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts