Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear the infamous death whine from one or both or my turbo's, yes it's been a tragic day for me. BUT I have a stock twin turbo setup in my basement just laying there. The setup is used, the turbines "look" in great shape. I just dont have the money to go single or anything of that matter right now.

This is my only alternative, so would it a difficult job for me or someone to do, to switch the turbo's? Should I attempt it? Do you haveto lift up the engine a bit?

Any insite would really be helping me out, Im stuck in a bad position here guys. James

· Registered
1,951 Posts
the oil return lines are probally bakes hard, i suggest getting new ones. they are only like 3" long, they go between the hard lines. any anything else that is rubber..maybe even the gaskets.

· Fat Guy in a Little Coat
298 Posts
If you have never done it before and you are fairly mechanically inclined, then I would say it would take a better part of a weekend to do especiallly if they have never been taken off before. You will run into stuck bolts. The good thing about it is that you get to learn quite a bit about the workings of the car when you do it yourself.

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what it's all about`

Thanks for the information. I wish I could just go single, but i dont have a supra I have an SC300 with a 2jzgte in it. The stock rear end has over 200,000 miles on it. So I would haveto build the rear up a bit before moving to a sigle.

I wonder if it would be okay to turn the boost down to a reasonably level and never move it...hhmm. I was thinking a T66...

· feeding your habit
3,842 Posts
Don't take the stock manifold off. The center sections are held to the hot side of the manifold with a clamp. Remove that and replace the cartridges and cold sides.... You will save 90% of the time that you'd spend replacing the whole log. Just be careful that you don't ding up the fragile compressor side wheel. Kroil will help with the hot side fasteners.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the ring and pinon in the diff. The stock SC300 pumpkin is available as a whole unit used for well under $400 as an open diff.... With LSD is usually $800 (same diff as the all the supras except the 6spd). Gearing may be different as well.

A T61 making 500hp won't kill your diff, but if you have the W58 5speed..... all bets are off on that puppy.

-M

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GReddy T67

I didnt mean to say T66, it was a typo. I am just going to go with the GReddy T67 Kit from suprastore.com. It seems like a great bang for the buck.I have done some reasearch. GReddy has exceptional quality.

But what kind of fuel or electronics would I need guys? Note:this is a JSpec 2JZGTE with the smaller injectors. Thanks

· Supraforums Member
954 Posts
Hmmm I'm not sure of the limits of the j-spec fuel system but I'm pretty sure it's much less than that of the US spec which is not exactly recommended for a single. So I'de say definatly go with one of those. I'm sure others have more info as this is something that has been done plenty of times before.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.