Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When headlights are down (daytime driving) and I brake, tailights light up.
When the headlights are popped up and shinning (at night), no lights until I brake.
The fuse box lid diagram under the hood says nothing about lights, but everything theres looks fine. The fuse box cover diagram under the steering colum has two fuse slots for the tail and rear lights, and both of those fuses are fine, even changed one out just becasuse.
The tailight relay is the yellow box behind the tailight cover on the dirver's side correct? Is there a cheap way to tell if its working? Did I miss a possible fuse box somewher in the car? Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I've changed them out, but I still go through one or two every few days it seems.
What I did, was take the soild green wire and the green/red wire leading to the tailght relay (the yellow box), spliced them, and connected them. Keeps the tailights on, but still no bright brake lights. Its a temporary fix I suppose for now.
Wondering if anyone knows what else I could check or shortcut?
Toyota says they can get me a new realy (yellow box) for like $150, but dang thats expensive for a box. Already checked most of the local junkyeards, but they do not carry any Mark IIIs

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
check on the forums they go for 20 bux in the for sale section.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd rather have brake lights than the tail lights until you get a new box. But check on ebay, the box for the cressida also works. (Verify cressida?)

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
hmmm the problem i had was i had no brake lights at all, except for the light on the spoiler. I swapped in another lamp failure box but all it did was take off the light on the dashboard. Someone on the forums (can't remember who) stated that the box's only purpose is to send a signal to the dashboard so the driver knows a bulb is out. I did the rewire and it worked flawless. Its been like that for a good couple of months now.

The wires u stated sounded like the right ones to jump. I will go out early tomorrow and make sure for you.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
Did you check the ground connections inside the light assembly? The screws that hold the ground wires onto the sockets have a bad habit of coming loose. Common problem in Toyotas. If the screw won't tighten up, I drill the screw hole all the way through, and use a long machine screw with a nut and lock tite on the other side.

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
this is how i have my connector for the tail lamp failure box jumped:

*****Take a seperate wire and jump these connections: red wire jumped to the red w/green stripe..

These wires must be jumped togetherwires . Red w/white stripe jumped to red w/blue stripe jumped to green w/white stripe.

I'll post a pic of how my connector looks in 1 sec.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
*BLacK SuPrA GTE* said:
this is how i have my connector for the tail lamp failure box jumped:

*****Take a seperate wire and jump these connections: red wire jumped to the red w/green stripe..

These wires must be jumped togetherwires . Red w/white stripe jumped to red w/blue stripe jumped to green w/white stripe.

I'll post a pic of how my connector looks in 1 sec.

I am interested in seeing how your setup is mate...if you can still post a good pic, I would love to see it

·
Slowly but Surely
1,438 Posts
sorry, I thought you might've figured out the problem by now. Here's the pic.
I've had it like this since maybe november and I have yet to run into a problem.

any questions? please post it.

Neal

1 - 11 of 11 Posts