Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, time comes for a little help again from my fellow supraforums members. I have a very very bad oil leak from the front of the engine, that at first glance looks like a front main seal. Well, after changing the FMS and both cam seals (twice for good measure), I have come to the conclusion by running the engine with all the timing covers off, that the oil is coming from the hex bolt on the top of the oil pump housing. Now, I have no dang clue why oil is even at that bolt, let alone how it is coming out of it, but when I run the engine, oil is draining out of there at a substantial rate. (Went around block, lost a quart type of leak). Almost like its getting "pumped" out of the engine. Now, I plan on ordering a new oil pump in the morning, I'm just curious if this is the cure or not..????? Anyone else ever seen such a leak?

Please help!!! Sorry it was so winded.

NOTES: Oil leak from HEX nut on oil pump...new pump??

http://www.elit3.com/upload.php?file=OilLeak.JPG

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure if you can see the oil in the pic, but I promise it is there, and comes out quickly with the engine running form the black hex nut in the center....

·
Registered
946 Posts
You don't need an new oil pump as it's not the oil pump that's is failing.
Did you change,replace or when you may have worked on the car removed the bolt before it began leaking?

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you are talking about the big black nut that points up, that is the plug for the regulator spring and plunger. I think it is suppose to have a sealing washer in it, I think.
Eric

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To my knowledge, that bolt has never been off. I figured it was some sort of relief valve, but I'm still curious why it would just start leaking.

Can I remove this nut? Re-seal it?

HELP!!!! :)

·
0 Posts
yes you can remove it but be careful when the bolt is about fully loose there is a spring and a couple of other small peices in there that might want to shoot out remember how they came out or you will have big problems. use a crush washer like the one all over our fuel system. but dont over tighten it that will cause leeks to

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
73LEVIN said:
yes you can remove it but be careful when the bolt is about fully loose there is a spring and a couple of other small peices in there that might want to shoot out remember how they came out or you will have big problems. use a crush washer like the one all over our fuel system. but dont over tighten it that will cause leeks to
I just got off the phone with my parts guy, he is overnighting the rubber o-ring that is underneath that nut. I guess the na's have a crush washer, while the turbo's use a O-ring.

We'll see... :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yup the TT use O-rings that why I asked you if the bolt was removed before as some time when removing the bolt the O-ring may crack or get out of hes posistion.

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
It's probably the lack of O-ring but it could be a small crack you can't normally see but opens under pressure. Or not!
Good luck with that. I may have to check mine out, too.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have had a leaking FMS that used to squirt oi up onto the big bolt that you are talking about, making it look as through the problem was with the bolt instead of the FMS. Turns out I had deformed the FMS when I installed it and it was the culprit.

You can pull that big assed bolt out of there to get at it's seal but you will be very hard pressed to get it back due to the two spring's pressure inside of it. So my first geuss is still a faulty FMS, that needs to be rechaged.

·
damn '02's...
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill P said:
I have had a leaking FMS that used to squirt oi up onto the big bolt that you are talking about, making it look as through the problem was with the bolt instead of the FMS. Turns out I had deformed the FMS when I installed it and it was the culprit.

You can pull that big assed bolt out of there to get at it's seal but you will be very hard pressed to get it back due to the two spring's pressure inside of it. So my first geuss is still a faulty FMS, that needs to be rechaged.
Well, I'd be happy to change the FMS again, but I had someone actually start the car while I watched it with the timing covers removed...it was very obvious where the oil is originating from... :( We'll see if I can get that bolt back in or not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts