Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if it's always done this or not but i had my car on jack stands and decided to start it to make sure everything was working before lowering it. The rear tires started to spin by themselves......... in neutral!!! I've tried adjusting the clutch to both extremes and in the middle and they still spin. I can stop them with my hands from spinning. I stop one the other still spins. LSD ik. But.... when i accelerate in neutral the tires spin at a constant speed.

Another thing.... We all know how much our trannies clunk.... well, mines clunks sometimes, but not when i change gears!!! Sometimes it clunks when I just depress the clutch!!!

Any input is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Mine just clunks when I put it in first for the first time. After that, I dont notice it... or maybe I just got used to it.

Also, I thought this was going to be some post bragging about how you got those spinning wheels for your Supra, but guess not. Sorry I can't help with your problem.

-Brian.

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blckfly12 said:
pretty sure thats normal.
How can that be normal? If the engine is still somehow connected to the wheels, wouldn't it stall? Someone want to put their car rear end on stands and see if their tires spin in nuetral???

W

·
0 Posts
NLine XXX said:
How can that be normal? If the engine is still somehow connected to the wheels, wouldn't it stall? Someone want to put their car rear end on stands and see if their tires spin in nuetral???
no it is normal... do it to any car... it wouldnt stall because the full load isnt on it.. just like .1%.. just enuff to make them turn a little

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Help!! The wheels spin by themselves.....

BRKNDLW said:
"Another thing.... We all know how much our trannies clunk.... "

Uh, no we don't.... :scratch:
Tranny clunk... I know. My question was if you just press down on your clutch, does it clunk??? I've always connected the clunk with the changing gears alone, cuz usually it's a one step deal, press clutch and then change gears, clunk. Not just press clutch and clunk alone.

J

·
0 Posts
The reason the rear wheels turn when the vehicle is on stands, is because of the vibration flowing through the drive train, causing the rear wheels to invertantly spin. It happens on almost all cars RWD, FWD, Auto or Manual.. It's normal..

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
it's probably clunking when you depress the clutch because you are taking the load off the drivetrain. depressing the clutch takes the load off the drivetrain and transfers it from the driveshaft to the wheels. now the ground is pushing through your wheelson the driveshaft, not your engine pushing on the driveshaft. since your driveshaft is the middleman, separated from the engine by the clutch, and the rear wheels by the differential, it will try to spin independantly of both, coerced along by the clutch or differential. when load is transfered from one end (engine>clutch>driveshaft) to the other (wheels>differential>driveshaft) by disengaging the clutch, the driveshaft will immediately slow down and will no longer be pushed by the engine, but will be pushed by the wheels turning on the ground, and the momentum of the car turning those as it rolls along. the clunk you are hearing is the driveshaft hitting the gears in the differential as this occurs. there is just enough play in the gears within, and the end gear of the driveshaft to allow the driveshaft to turn ever so slightlywithout moving the gears of differential. so when the load shifts from the engine/driveshaft to the wheels/differential, the driveshaft end gear is slammed into the gears of the differential producing a "clunk" mine does it, therefore it must be normal :D

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Try this:

The wheels spinning when in neutral definitely means something is not adjusted right. With the car in neutral and watching the wheels spin, push in the clutch. I know, sounds odd since the car is already in neutral. Yet obviously the clutch is engaging somewhere along the line. If the wheels stop spinning then the clutch is still out of adjustment. Could also be the fork.

The wheels SHOULD NOT spin when the car is running and in neutral. the vibration thru the driveshaft is miminal. If you're getting enough vibration thru the driveshaft to cause the wheels to spin then you best start looking at something in the engine compartment and a rebuild. Not even a V6 should cause enough vibration much less an I6.

Out of the cellar.
Scott

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Marblehead said:
Try this:

The wheels spinning when in neutral definitely means something is not adjusted right. With the car in neutral and watching the wheels spin, push in the clutch. I know, sounds odd since the car is already in neutral. Yet obviously the clutch is engaging somewhere along the line. If the wheels stop spinning then the clutch is still out of adjustment. Could also be the fork.

The wheels SHOULD NOT spin when the car is running and in neutral. the vibration thru the driveshaft is miminal. If you're getting enough vibration thru the driveshaft to cause the wheels to spin then you best start looking at something in the engine compartment and a rebuild. Not even a V6 should cause enough vibration much less an I6.

Out of the cellar.
Scott
Ok then.... I did try to press down on the clutch while in nuetral. And yes, the wheels did stop spinning (after i applied the brakes to stop their momentum). So should I just keep adjusting that one bolt above the clutch??? Thanks everyone.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
HUH?! How could it mean the clutch is out of adjustment if his wheels are spinnnig in neutral? Guys, that makes no sense.

1) Here's the test to make sure your clutch is fully disengaging: jack up the car again.. let down the e-brake. Start the car. Push in the clutch, wait a few seconds, then put it in first gear. Then wait a few seconds, the wheels should not be spinning. *Note: they may spin for a second when putting it into gear, but should immediately stop if the clutch is disengaging properly. If they spin (and continue spinning) in 1st gear, then your clutch is not disengaging properly and must be adjusted (i.e. lengthen that pushrod behind the pedal).

2) With regards to why the hell the wheels are rotating in NEUTRAL, that just makes no sense. Let's test the Vibration theory vs. actual transfer of rotational force. Easy test -- start the car, put it in neutral, and when the wheels are turning, get under the car and look at where the driveshaft connects up to the differential. IS IT TURNING?! If it's turning, then yeah, something is fucked up in the transmission and "neutral" isn't really neutral. If it's NOT turning, but the wheels are, then it's just the vibration causing them to move.

Simple.

Andi

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Andi said:
HUH?! How could it mean the clutch is out of adjustment if his wheels are spinnnig in neutral? Guys, that makes no sense.

1) Here's the test to make sure your clutch is fully disengaging: jack up the car again.. let down the e-brake. Start the car. Push in the clutch, wait a few seconds, then put it in first gear. Then wait a few seconds, the wheels should not be spinning. *Note: they may spin for a second when putting it into gear, but should immediately stop if the clutch is disengaging properly. If they spin (and continue spinning) in 1st gear, then your clutch is not disengaging properly and must be adjusted (i.e. lengthen that pushrod behind the pedal).

2) With regards to why the hell the wheels are rotating in NEUTRAL, that just makes no sense. Let's test the Vibration theory vs. actual transfer of rotational force. Easy test -- start the car, put it in neutral, and when the wheels are turning, get under the car and look at where the driveshaft connects up to the differential. IS IT TURNING?! If it's turning, then yeah, something is fucked up in the transmission and "neutral" isn't really neutral. If it's NOT turning, but the wheels are, then it's just the vibration causing them to move.

Simple.

Andi
You're scaring me with #2. I didn't look at the driveshaft but I will do that soon. I hope nothing is wrong with my tranny.....

As for #1, when I press in the clutch, the tires stop, even when i put it into 1st, they still don't spin so I don't worry about that.

thanks again

·
Registered
448 Posts
This normal for all cars, if your foot is off the clutch it is engaged, if the clutch pedal is depressed than it is not engaged.. To prove it just grab the wheel slowly, or use the parking brake it will stop and the engine will not stall. Remember that all gears in the trans are engaged all the time and buy putting a car in gear you only lock it to its shaft, there is enough friction the trans to turn the wheels in neutral. Turn your car off and get under it and twist the drive shaft, easy to turn isn’t it. This is a perfect example of the fact that this car has vary low drive train loss.

MI Auto manual trans and axles certified
ASE manual trans and axles certified

hth
Evan

·
Wheelhophobia?
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Evan Pokorny said:
if the rear wheels are turning the drive shaft will also be turning.
unless the differential is fubar, not the trans.
NOOO!!!!!!!!!!! I hope not. Now i REALLY can't wait to get home and take a look..........

·
Registered
448 Posts
dude your car is fine, your drive shaft is what was turning your wheels. The reason you could stop one wheel and not the other is because you have a limited slip diff, so there is a limit on the speed difference between the two.

what I wrote last was a response to that #2 paragraph

to make sure that you did not mess up the adjustment of your clutch, it should grab about in the middle and have about 1 inch of free play at the top. Now if you put your car on the ground on a flat surface and put it in 1st gear with the clutch pedal to the floor and rev it, it should not move the car if it dose move than it is not disengaging all the way. and yon need to move the adjustment rod out clock wise if your looking at the firewall

1 - 20 of 21 Posts