Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Ferrari 550 Maranello
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone . . . I'm writing to ask your help on a transmission problem that I am having.

PROBLEM: During normal operation, when I try to put my car in third gear . . . it pops right out, usually after a grinding sound. Under aggressive driving, you just can't get it anywhere close to in, it just acts like a misshift. Occasionally on a downshift, it will engage in third gear, but ends up letting out later. SUMMARY: Third gear is not working.

OTHER RELEVANT INFORMATION: In the past, a small leak in my transmission has been noticed . . . ever so slight, never noticing anything on the ground, even when parked for long periods of times, but occasionally seeing a drop on the bottom of the tranny when the car was on a lift. For the last 2 months, my car was sitting in a body shop getting completely repainted (same color).

THOUGHTS: Do you think enough transmission fluid leaked to cause a problem? Do you think I just blew a gear on a misshift? Does this require replacement of the entire transmission? Is the transmission repairable?

If I have not provided enough information to solve this problem, please ask, and I will answer any more questions! Thanks in advance for your help, guys. :)

P.S. - I do not live in Austin, anymore. :-( I wish Performance Motorsports & Boost Logic could move here. ;-)

·
Getrag Gearhead
1,872 Posts
You have a bad third gear synchronizer, 3-4 hub and third gear assembly. Yes the transmission is rebuildable. As far as the leak. I doubt that a small leak would've caused it. Force shifting the gears is what causes the synchronizers to wear out. So regardless of how you drive it. Forcing it into the gears will wear out the synchros. There after the grind means the hubs and gears will not engage smoothly and will chew each other out. Not to mention metal fragments will travel everywhere within the tranny.

When the tranny is overhauled its a good time to install new seals. There are four of them inner and outer input shaft seals, output shaft seal and shifter shaft seal. Replace them all.

The hardest part is the time consuming overhaul of this Getrag.

Joe.

·
Registered
1997 Ferrari 550 Maranello
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Who is capable of doing this, and what is expected cost?

·
Registered
575 Posts
bump.

B

·
0 Posts
lilviv said:
Who is capable of doing this, and what is expected cost?
jay marks is able to do it. price depends on how badly its hurt. can range from 500 to 2000 depending on whats wrong etc. give jeff watson a call

·
Registered
31 Posts
ouch.....sounds like it a synchronzier, when it grinds and pops back out..

i have a similar problem but its very weird. Mines pops out on first gear, but it doesnt grind. just pops out(car moves like an inch and pops out). I did a tranny fluid change and they overflow mines and it leaks a few drops everytime i start up the car. I thought it was my synchroznier but when the fluids slowly came out and level out, my first gear doesnt pop out as much as b4. It pops out once a day and after that its fine. I dont dink mines was a synchronizer problem, could the the overflow fluid or the clutch bearings, and my clutch is out. AND MOST synchronizer problems occur on 2nd gear or 3rd. IF i was you and u did a tranny fluid change and they put too much on yours, pump some out.

Some dude posted that it would cause a shot to the tranny due overflow fluid. ( his username is JELLIMAN or type in mines. do a search and read the tranny thread i did a while back) My mechanic friend said its my clutch bearings/clutch. And my clutch did ran out this week. It was just a matter of time. BUT from what i know, if it pops out on 2nd or 3rd, sorry to say it could be a synchronizer problem. JUST rebuild it for around 2,000. People say it wont cause futhure damage if you keep driving it, so take your time. My car is in the shop now for a new clutch kit.. keep me update on your problem. thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts