Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help deciding between turbos? I've been debating on building my own kit using HKS manifold and Wastgate or just getting the RPS kit. I would like to hear some testimonials of people that have the 61,62,64,66 BB turbos. What power??? About Lag??? Track times??? I'm looking for at least 600rwhp eventually and something that has ten second potential. I will upgrade the fuel but not for a couple months afterward. I WILL keep the boost down,untill the fuel upgrade, with what ever turbo I decide so lets not get into that... Any help on this critical decision will be appreciated.
Thanks Matt
98 QuicksilverTT BPU+++ 6sp

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
Look around the forums...there have been a ton of posts around the SP turbo's lately....go read the thread on the SP57 - great turbo for stock fuel....

Jay

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
M Miller said:

I know...I can't hang with the big dogs :D
I have thought about the T78 but only b/c of the price.
I want something that will spool quickly for the 1/4 but still have a little something on top for you.
You'll eventually end up w/ a big turbo, so you might as well start there:) Ever notice how many ppl start w/ a TS04, T61, SP63 or similar and then a couple months later that turbo's for sale because they want more power?
Heed my words of wisdom:D
Scott

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
Look into the PHR Stage 2+, IMO the BEST street turbo out there...

W

·
0 Posts
I have to agree with Pete here and tell Fledis to go home. ;) The newer design medium turbos such as an SP63 or a PHR Stage 2+ are both good for easily 600RWHP with bone stock internals, and have been approaching 700RWHP with upgrades (cams, intake manifold, ported head, yadda yadda). On top of that, they are emminently driveable, spool fast, and make enough power at low boost to run pump gas and be pushihg 500+RWHP.

The downside is that either of these turbos can destroy your engine in a heartbeat on the stock fuel, unless you are the most careful person in the world. I know of at least one person who popped his engine running ~18PSI on a SP63 with the stock fuel system on pump gas.

I'd suggest doing something like I am - go with a smaller street turbo (SP57/SP60/T61/whatever) while you're on the stock fuel system, and when you upgrade fuel, bolt on a new turbo. You'll lose a few hundred dollars selling your old turbo used, but it's worth it, IMO. Anyway, what's the point of having more lag if you can't have more power, since you'll be limited by fuel and not turbo if you're on the stock setup?

-Pete

(sorry for any weird typos, I have a bandage on my finger from working on my car... [email protected]%#$^@#^!!!)

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I'm gonna have to agree with Pete here.
Good post.
Peter
:)

watermnp said:
I have to agree with Pete here and tell Fledis to go home. ;) The newer design medium turbos such as an SP63 or a PHR Stage 2+ are both good for easily 600RWHP with bone stock internals, and have been approaching 700RWHP with upgrades (cams, intake manifold, ported head, yadda yadda). On top of that, they are emminently driveable, spool fast, and make enough power at low boost to run pump gas and be pushihg 500+RWHP.

The downside is that either of these turbos can destroy your engine in a heartbeat on the stock fuel, unless you are the most careful person in the world. I know of at least one person who popped his engine running ~18PSI on a SP63 with the stock fuel system on pump gas.

I'd suggest doing something like I am - go with a smaller street turbo (SP57/SP60/T61/whatever) while you're on the stock fuel system, and when you upgrade fuel, bolt on a new turbo. You'll lose a few hundred dollars selling your old turbo used, but it's worth it, IMO. Anyway, what's the point of having more lag if you can't have more power, since you'll be limited by fuel and not turbo if you're on the stock setup?

-Pete

(sorry for any weird typos, I have a bandage on my finger from working on my car... [email protected]%#$^@#^!!!)

·
Registered
256 Posts
whats guy?
My question is: couldi get a sp57 kit and when i h ave saved up enough cash, get a fuel system and just bolt on a sp66.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
watermnp said:

-Pete

I must reply to this w/ a quote from Mr. Humphey's himself. When asked, by a customer, what turbo he would suggest, he replied, "You might as well get the biggest one possible because you'll end up w/ it eventually anyway":)
Scott
p.s.- I wasn't involved in the conversation and the quote isn't verbatim, but it is the gist of the conversation.

M

·
0 Posts
redbpu said:
whats guy?
My question is: couldi get a sp57 kit and when i h ave saved up enough cash, get a fuel system and just bolt on a sp66.
The answer to your question is yes....of course you would have to tune it though....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
From driving an SP60 .58, I'd say don't go with a smaller turbo. Sure it spools fast, but it still hits a little later than the stock twins. Of course when it does spool it spools much faster, but all singles will do that. The bottom line is you still have to downsift to race or accelerate quickly. Doesn't matter what you have. As long as your turbo doesn't fall off boost between gears, its too small IMO :) As long as you can race w/o worring about lag, or having to start a race (or a corner exit if you road race) too close to redline.

A T78 would save you $$, maybe enough for fuel? Certianly can't run a T78 or T88 on stock fuel at ALL though.

PHR 2+ is awesome sure... But for the price you could get a T78 or RPS kit, raise the rev limiter and add cams. Then you wouldn't have to worry about the lag as much since you would have a larger power band. And it would make more power.

Besides, why get a SP57 when you could buy a SP63 and run lower boost for a little while? Hell the 60 won't even max out stock fuel, I know a guy running rich as hell on his SP60 .70 at 18 psi.

Grant "I have yet to see a magic turbo" B.

P

·
0 Posts
As another satisfied SP57 owner I would say get the Sp57 kit , you can swap it out later with very little $ lost. Or you may decide to keep it :)

W

·
0 Posts
Grant - Each person has to assess the risk they want, of course. You can *easily* surpass the capability of the stock fuel system with a 60mm turbo just by raising the boost. I dyno'd 480+RWHP at 17.5PSI needing a little bit more fuel (no controller), and at 24PSI all indications were there for a 540+RWHP run before we let off at 4200RPM because it was at 14:1 and going leaner... There's a reason [email protected] will tell you not to run an SP63 on the stock fuel system, and that's because you have to be way too careful to do so. At 18PSI, an SP63 .70 can be pushing 510+RWHP, enough to surpass the stock fuel system in a moment if it's not very carefully dialed in on race gas.

And a T78/T88 kit won't save you that much over a PHR/SP kit in the long run. There's a reason both PHR and SP include higher quality parts...

Fledis - True, but again, it depends on what you're looking for. You're never going to find 600RWHP on pump gas at low boost on any turbo, so if that's your target, I'd get a medium sized turbo that will make 650+ and stay with it. This of course will depend on each individual person. To me, though, if you have something like a T88 or HKS Twins and never tune them to push more than 650+RWHP (which I've seen happen a number of times), then what's the point?

Done right, though, yeah, a T88 can really shine...

-Pete

B

·
0 Posts
just want to chime in........Just like everyone else I went through the motions when buying my single

...which one is best?
....how can I do it cheaply?
....how much lag??
...can I keep stock fuel??
....I want at least 700rwhp?

here's what I learned (the hard way!).

POWER--every single bigger than tso4 will make way more power and torque than you can drive on the street. let me explain, I have a SP63 .81a/r and even with brand new 295's, it loses traction at 21psi at 60MPH at wot!!! I have an auto and I am sad to report that since going single I have lost all 3 stoplight races(highway is a different story) I have had. My problem--traction!!
It doesn't matter what turbo you have, on the street, full trottle is a joke...it goes something like this... gasssssss ..... wheeelspin... off the gas ..... gasss..... wheeelspin... until you get to like 75mph. And this is at like 18 to 20 psi. I really couldn't imagine driving a t88 or hks twins at 25psi on the street. If you like driving on the highway alot then get one of the big boys otherwise go with smaller to medium turbo for everyday car.

Also, I have noticed that some get huge turbos to make huge power, then don't tune them properly and only make 600rwhp. I think that for an everyday car, buy a medium turbo and tune it perfectly and drive around with 630rwhp and quick spool.

PRICE---as someone who's melted the pistons on my car with stock fuel......I say never consider a single without fuel. If not for the dangers involved then for this simple reason---its not worth monetarily speaking....why spend $5k for 480rwhp and huge lag(t78/t78). Going single is expensive.

Lag-- Lag is real....but with a single the payoff is so nice(6-700rwhp) that it really doesn't matter. the only thing is, was the 1st point i made. Like Lar said of an hks twins once....."stand on the gas and wait.....and wait ....and wait......baaaaamm tire spin" Thats not very fun for a street driven car.

Bottom line==What good is 50000rwhp, if you can't put it down??

mike

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
BLK-SP64 said:
just want to chime in........Just like everyone else I went through the motions when buying my single

...which one is best?
....how can I do it cheaply?
....how much lag??
...can I keep stock fuel??
....I want at least 700rwhp?

here's what I learned (the hard way!).

POWER--every single bigger than tso4 will make way more power and torque than you can drive on the street. let me explain, I have a SP63 .81a/r and even with brand new 295's, it loses traction at 21psi at 60MPH at wot!!! I have an auto and I am sad to report that since going single I have lost all 3 stoplight races(highway is a different story) I have had. My problem--traction!!
It doesn't matter what turbo you have, on the street, full trottle is a joke...it goes something like this... gasssssss ..... wheeelspin... off the gas ..... gasss..... wheeelspin... until you get to like 75mph. And this is at like 18 to 20 psi. I really couldn't imagine driving a t88 or hks twins at 25psi on the street. If you like driving on the highway alot then get one of the big boys otherwise go with smaller to medium turbo for everyday car.

Also, I have noticed that some get huge turbos to make huge power, then don't tune them properly and only make 600rwhp. I think that for an everyday car, buy a medium turbo and tune it perfectly and drive around with 630rwhp and quick spool.

PRICE---as someone who's melted the pistons on my car with stock fuel......I say never consider a single without fuel. If not for the dangers involved then for this simple reason---its not worth monetarily speaking....why spend $5k for 480rwhp and huge lag(t78/t78). Going single is expensive.

Lag-- Lag is real....but with a single the payoff is so nice(6-700rwhp) that it really doesn't matter. the only thing is, was the 1st point i made. Like Lar said of an hks twins once....."stand on the gas and wait.....and wait ....and wait......baaaaamm tire spin" Thats not very fun for a street driven car.

Bottom line==What good is 50000rwhp, if you can't put it down??

mike
I agree w/ you on the wheelspin issue. Even at 17#'s 1st and 2nd are a joke at WOT, and I'm running 325's in the rear! I don't even try stoplight racing...the traction just isn't there w/out at least DR's, a burnout and a prepped track. Fortunately, noone has tried me at a light:) On the highway...forget about it!
I agree w/ you on the fuel too:) It's not worth it. If you can't afford the fuel system, then stay BPU or go w/ a small turbo!!!
Scott

1 - 20 of 41 Posts