Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Smalltime Pimp
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repost, but I cannot find the search feature on this forum anywhere where I posted it a few months ago.

Anyways, I have been killing myself trying to figure out what this metallic clicking/rattling noise is that's coming from the back of the car when I drive.
It sounds similar to when you have a loose cap on a rim (even though I know that's not what it is), and it pings with every revolution of the rear wheels.

I've checked the rear brakes and the bolts on the axles where they attach to the diff...all are tight.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks (again)

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
If it's coming from the rear hatch area, is a rattling noise, then it's the targa seals. It's an $8 repair. Go into the Elmhurt Toyota section and ask the same question. They'll get you the correct part numbers, pricing and availability.

·
Smalltime Pimp
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's coming from the rear hatch area, is a rattling noise, then it's the targa seals. It's an $8 repair. Go into the Elmhurt Toyota section and ask the same question. They'll get you the correct part numbers, pricing and availability.
Nope...not that kind of noise.
It's definitely something to do with moving parts near the wheel or axles, cuz it clicks with every revolution of the wheels.

8,181 Posts
Don't think so...I jacked up the rear of the car and tried to wiggle the rear wheels on the axle and there is no play at all.
mine is comming the same way you explains it. but mine is of the wheel bearings. and the hub dont wiggle when i took off the wheel. but that was some 6 months ago when i started noticing it.

8,181 Posts
Might sound stupid but it has happened before; have you left anything in the center cap on your wheels?
that could be too. one time the tire shop loose fit a lug nut that droped in between the center cap and start making stupid noise. i was so pissed on them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
When did the noise start? Did you replaced tires recently? Can you hear the noise if you jack up the car and then try to spin each wheel?

·
Smalltime Pimp
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
a little update:

Turns out the noise has been heard by many others as well, including service techs, mechanics, friends and other various witnesses.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what my mystery noise is.

It's coming from the front, almost under the car when just coasting.
Also seems to be faintly clicking inside the cabin, as if behind the dash.

Maybe I'm just going fucking CRAZY.

You know what.....I had a 94 Prelude where the speedometer went out, and it made a click click click sound.....well, it almost sounds like that.

Some have said they thought it was the brake hardware....so I changed out both sets of brakes, got new rotors, new pads...etc....

Still clicking.

Got under the car and tightened every damn bolt I could find.....still clicking.

Any other advice out there, before I swallow a bullet on this one?

Yes, I know :thread: .....but I need help.

Thanks.

·
JZA80
3,121 Posts
You have an HKS Super Dragger right? Are you still on stock Cats?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Are your wheels stock??

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,361 Posts
Is it a 6 speed? The rattling at idle is known for 6 speeds, but is it possible something got loose, not inside the tranny but in the housing, where the throw out bearing is? There are 2 openings on the sides of the getrag, you look in there?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts