Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I'm new to the MKIII world as I just bought a black 92 turbo. My left tailight is busted, so I figured why not go JDM in the process.

Please look at these two auctions....

In this auction, if you look carefully at the back of the tailights, you'll see a black wire with a plug at the end of it? What is this? Is it necessary to have? or will I have it already when I swap the tailights??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=8070934262&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

In this auction, when you look at the back of the tailights, I don't see this same wire/plug. What gives?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4644861874&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

Maybe a lame question, but I haven't taken the tailights off and inspected, and figured I would ask the experts anyways..... :)

Thanks in advance.

·
Car is being held ransom.
705 Posts
If I am not mistaken, you can reuse the wires you currently have on your car. Other than that, that should be all you need to know. I bought a set of JDM tails for my car and it never came with the black wires at all. Havent installed them yet, but I am pretty sure you can resuse the wires.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i checked them both and i'd go for the first set. The second auction has the wires too, but they're cut. You can see them in about all pics just beneath the unit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
By the looks of it, they are the stock wires that run to the lamp housing for power and also the wires that control the brake dim and your turn signal. Just so you can see what i am talking about, open up the hatch and pop open the plastic cover to the housing. From there, you should see the wire which runs alongside the lamp housing. the second pic is a true JDM tail light set that came off a supra (you can tell how nicely smoked the turn signals are) while the first set kind of looked too clear especially on the turn signal section and not just that, they look too new which in turn would look great on the car but look like the housings off from the US models. Hopefully I am right on this on the color of the JDM taillights but on the wire issue, that can't be wrong. If I am, someone slap me, lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
oh and C44 is right, the second bid which is the true JDM set has the wires cut so I don't think it be a good idea to get them. The hell with it, the new set looks nice, and not just that, the quality looks good. I say get the first bid. those look like they would last you another 20 years, lol.

·
DON'T BLAME ME!!!
826 Posts
JDM tails

Top auction tails look like regular domestic markets to me. Bottom auction is, as others have stated most likely the true "JDM's", which are noticebly darker. The wiring will be with your old tails, so you don't have to worry about the cut wires. The whole light holder piece, comes out of the tail light assembly, If the white part I'm refering to, is okay on your current tails, then all you need is the actual housing. Hope this makes sense to you. Happy bidding and good luck!

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
this is easy im surprised no one else has said it...

the first auction is for USDM lights marked JDM :rolleyes: the dead giveaways are the fact they are not darker in any way...and the BIG giveaway...the wire you were referring to is for the rear sidemarker which the JDM cars DONT HAVE.....and the USDM ones DO.

so first set is usdm you dont want them if you are looking for jdm...the second set is jdm.

hope that helps.

EDIT: also the "cut wires" you refer to in the second one....are actually cut on the car harness side...meaning the harness that is attached to the white sections is in fine condtion. so no worries there.

·
Addicted to boost
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. IdealSupra, thanks for the definitive answer. The first auction is fetching a pretty penny too. I'm glad I asked here on the board. I was leaning towards the first auction, but not anymore. :)

It makes my blood boil when people falsely sell stuff. For example, everyone and thier mother on autotrader who is selling a 240 claims it's a SE. Only 10% of the cars listed are really SE's. <end rant>

So, you guys with the JDM tailights, what do you do with the rear sidemarker? Go without? or????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts