Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· function > form
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a specialized tool designed to hold the crank pulley while you break the torque on the bolt? I tried breaking the torque on my 90. Had it in gear (with the slack taken up) and the parking brake clamped good. The car still moved when I tried to crack the bolt loose. I'd rather not pay a shop to do this to my 89. I watched them use a chain to hold the crank pulley but I can't find a name for it or where to buy them. Anyone have ideas?

· Broke Supra Addicted Fool
801 Posts
I simply put a large breaker bar on the crank bolt and wedged it on the crossmember in the proper direction so that I could just turn the car on and gave the car a quick turn of the key and my started snapped it right free :) worked great

· Registered
3,965 Posts
put it in gear, and pull up with all your might on that e-brake

it will move a bit, but once the slack is taken up in the drivetrain it will break free

also, try different gears, first gear is going to be too much leverage on the drivetrain and will move the car too easy, use at least second gear...

· Needs More 1jz
1,079 Posts
Poodles said:
put it in gear, and pull up with all your might on that e-brake

it will move a bit, but once the slack is taken up in the drivetrain it will break free

also, try different gears, first gear is going to be too much leverage on the drivetrain and will move the car too easy, use at least second gear...
ive heard 4th was the best gear to use.

· Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
15,378 Posts
meh, i used 5th gear...works everytime :)

· aka supra_driven
213 Posts
Serzy said:
I simply put a large breaker bar on the crank bolt and wedged it on the crossmember in the proper direction so that I could just turn the car on and gave the car a quick turn of the key and my started snapped it right free :) worked great
This is by far the easiest way to get the bolt loose, if u don't have an air compressor and impact gun. As far as removing it, it's easier to go to autozone and rent a puller for free, they'll even check which puller is the one designed for it. I don't recommend the following procedure, unless you have full experience with these types of situations. I grabed two pry bars and applied even force on the pulley to get it to come off. Be extra carefull though, because you can brake something really quick.Just make sure you put some WD-40 to make things easier.

· Digital Dreamer
896 Posts
Deffinitely rent the puller from your autoparts store, I rented from canadian tire and it worked very well, you screw it onto the pulley, and as you turn the centre screw it slowly pushes the pully off the crank. Renting is free too just return the tool and they return your money. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
eric

· I heart 80's Toyota's
702 Posts
Serzy said:

I have done this before too.... JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE CAR CAN'T START

· Registered
3,965 Posts
I made a custom puller for the timing pulley

the top bolts of the timing cover are the exact size and pitch you need, the rest you can figure out....

yeah, forgot about having someone stand ont eh brake pedal, it works everytime

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.