Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone.

I have owned my DJG Supra for about 3 years now and have started to do some additional modifications. I love the look of the stock wheels and body, but would like to up the game a little.

My current modifications are:
3" Tanabe Downpipe
Patch Harness with BCC
MBC set at 17psi
Wastegate spring mod and shimmed the rear wastegate (12-13 psi 1st turbo, 17 psi second turbo)
New NGK Plugs
Southbend Stage 3 Endurance with OEM DMF
Tanabe Sustec GF210 Springs
H&R Trak+ Spacers 15mm back, 20mm front
HKS Silent Hi-Power (Special Order, Still Waiting)

Car sits great now.

The main problem I have now is in gears 1-3, I immediately loose traction when the second turbo hits. It doesn't help that I have some old Toyo 300 treadwear 255/40/17s. I recently picked up two old turbo wheels that were gouged up and dull and had my wheel guy bring them back to life for $150 each.

So enough of the backstory. I am thinking about getting this extra set of 17x9.5s widened so I can put my current rears on the front and some widened wheels on the back, but don't know what width I should go for because tire sizes are so limited.

Essentially, I either have to go with 275/40/17 or 315/40/17. I would hate to have to hack up my rear inner fender wells, so I assume the 315's are out of the question? I also hate the way 275s seem to bulge on the OEM wheels, and 888R run wide so it would be even worse (I would think).

Should I widen them to 17x10.5 to accommodate the R888R 275/40/17? Would 11.0 look too stretched? Is widening a waste of time and I should just stick to a 275/40/17 on a factory wheel? Like to hear your thoughts on what you would do to get the best looks and traction?

Thanks

·
Old School
4,107 Posts
I had my stockers widened to 10”, perfect fit for the 275/40-17 Michelin PS2 that I ran for years. I widened the front 8” rims, put them on the back with a 1.2” wheel adapter and moved the 9.5” rears to the front with a 265/40 PS2. The increase in front tire was huge for overall handling.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
A stock 17x9.5 is great for a 275/40/17. I can't speak to your subjective tastes but I personally believe R888R's and RT615's and NT05R's in that size all look fantastic on the stock wheel.

I would never run something as narrow as a 275 on an 11in wide wheel. A 17x11 or 11.5 should get the 315, without question.

But before spending the money and potentially messing around with different spacers/tire sizes etc, I'd buy a set of sticky and proper performance spec 275/40/17's and have those mounted on the new rear wheels as-is and see if it serves your needs.
Move your existing 9.5 rears up front as you planned already, but go for a nice handling 255/40 or 265/40 for those. Make sure to have the tabs removed that deliberately interfere on the front TT calipers - Toyota did that to prevent an ignorant early 90's tire shop from swapping the fronts and rears by accident.

If that setup does the trick, no need for widening the wheels or changing anything else.

Reactions: Strokercharged95GT

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, I am now leaning towards just sticking the 275s on the new wheels. But before I order the tires, I would just like to play devils advocate on the 315/35/17s first.

I am currently running a 15mm rear spacer. I did a rough measurement with the car on the ground between the inner wheel lip and the shock/spring, and I had roughly 40mm of clearance (rough as in I just held up a tap measure and eyeballed it). This tells me that if I left the 15mm spacer in its place and widened the wheel to 11", I would have something like a few mm's of clearance on the inner portion.

So hypothetically, if I did widen the wheel to 11" and bought a smaller 315/35/17 (like a Nitto), how much of the fender lips would have to be trimmed back? Would the tire hit other things inside of the wheel well I am not thinking about? Would the 315 be so bulged on the 11" wheel that it would be worse to drive? I honestly am not totally against trimming the fenders, I just don't want to trim them back so much that the arch loses rigidity.

edit - using wheel math with a 17x9.5 +50 widened to 17x11" with a 15 mm spacer the offset would be around +54.

[50mm + (38/2)] = 69mm -15mm spacer = +54mm

·
2,249 Posts
I have been running tires in the "Extreme Performance Summer Tire" category at the stock 235/45R17 front and 255/40R17 rear sizes on my stock wheels for a very long time. Honestly a stock size can work as long as the tire is good. I "daily" with these tires. They don't last forever but ultimate grip is what I want.

I had these in the stock sizes front/rear for the last 5 years...
Bridgestone Potenza RE-71R
These have been discontinued. There is an RE-71RS in Asia but that has not come over yet.

I am replacing the RE-71R's this week with these tires...
Yokohama Advan A052

Testing Extreme Performance Summer Tires 2020

·
From the land down under
4,545 Posts
Just as a side note, if you do end up moving your 9.5" rears to the front, and widening another set of factory rims for the rear, be sure to widen a set of 9.5" rears, so the "lip" isnt shallower on the rear than the front.

Admittedly, there is only a subtle difference in "lip", but its noticeable enough to look a little odd

·
Super Moderator
3,873 Posts
The 11.5 widened wheel will leave you at a +75 offset. You really want the 25 spacer, it will hit the inner wheel well with a 315 tire. I ran widened wheels back in 2012 and ran into this issue.

Best bet which you probably won’t like is to cut your rear quarters. I rolled mine but having it cut now for clearance.

Any info let me know

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the responses. I talked to Weldcraft and they are backed up 6-8 weeks. Looks like I will just go with a 275/40/17 for the new rears and move my 255/40/17 rears to the front for a nice staggered setup. I can always go the wheel widening in the future if I decide to go single.

Now I have to figure out R888R vs NT-01R vs NT-05R. :cautious:

Edit - Just ordered the R888R as they were the cheapest....

I will likely also have to now send my current rears out for polishing as they look like shit next to the new 9.5's

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
sounds good, I run the r888rs in front...a little noisey but not bad.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the new 275/40/17 R888Rs mounted. I was worried about the lip touching the tire on a hard shift. I put about 450 pounds on the back of the car and the lips were about 1/4-inch from the wheels.

Went out and did a rip and had traction in all gears, only a chirp from first to second. No evidence on the tire or lips of any contact so it looks like I dodged a bullet with the 15mm rear spacer and the Tanabe GF210 spring.

Because the traction is so much better the car feels slow now. I will likely need to start looking at more power modifications. Been waiting months on the HKS Silent Hi-Power to make it here.

Still have to shave the caliper tab off to mount the 255/40/17s on the front.

Interesting enough, I received these wheels with about 15 other items and assumed they were OEM Toyota. Funny thing is there is no Toyota stamp on the face, but all of the manufacturing stamps on the back side of the spokes are nearly identical to my OEM wheels and I can't see any difference in the structure or manufacturing of the wheel in comparison to a known OEM wheel. So either these are really good copies, Toyota didn't put the "Toyota" on a certain year?, or they were shaved off?

20210407_160530.jpg
20210407_162133.jpg
20210407_160519.jpg

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woo, I just shaved the caliper and put the 255/40/17s on the front. Car feels way better with wider tires all around. I will probably send the fronts out to get polished and repaired and put 255 r888s on the front as well. The dish on the rears looks more agressive on the front and it moves the wheel closer to the caliper.

R888s definitely hold the road. I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just an update, THM stated my exhaust way delayed another 2 months so I have requested a refund. So its a no-go for the HKS Silent Hi-power.

I wanted to keep my car quiet, but I don't really like the look of the Drager. I also don't like the carbon look of the Carbon Ti.

It seems like the general consensus from the reviewing the last decade worth of exhaust posts is that the HKS 4" Ti seems to be overwhelmingly recommended.

I see it goes for about $1150 at PHR with an adapter.

So my question is, will I regret getting this exhaust on my BPU car?

·
Old School
4,107 Posts
HKS Ti is beautifully made, very loud, and some possible ground clearance issues being 4".

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HKS Ti is beautifully made, very loud, and some possible ground clearance issues being 4".
I watched about 10 videos of the hks ti, and I could just see the cringe on all my neighbors when I fire it up. Decided to go with the apexi n1 evolution, which seemed to be moderate noise, big piping, angle canister look, and all stainless steel.

Reactions: Lagtime

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the new exhaust I ordered doesn't appear to be shipping.

So now i'm thinking about going back to ordering a HKS 4" Ti. I know this is a loud one, but if I put in the silencer will it tame it down much from a cold start in my neighborhood. I am also BPU, so the cast iron manifolds should help some.

If anyone knows how well the silencer reduces sound of the 4" Ti, please let me know.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Given your concerns, you will honestly not enjoy the HKS Race Ti.

HKS dealers in Japan seem to indicate an August 2021 restock for the Silent Hi-Power, so I'd honestly just plan on waiting until then, and keep looking around for one on a shelf with a parts dealer stateside in the meantime. If THM doesn't have it, then the distributors don't have one either. But it'd be worth a phone call to MVP Motorsports and Suprastore to see if they have one physically in-stock.

An Apexi GT Spec on the second hand/used market would also be an excellent choice for what you want.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I just tried to get a N1 through MVP. They physically had an exhaust in the California warehouse, but nobody was working there due to covid lol. Like everyone else, the warehouse people are staying home and enjoying the government paybump not to work....

Mvp and thm were backordered on most exhausts, same with induction. Phr wouldn't even answer my request on availability.

I have been waiting 4 months, I found a place with a hks 4". I drive the car rarely that a loud exhaust won't bother me. My bridgeport 13b is already stupid loud with a 3.5 inch exhaust, so the supra might be quieter.

If I decide to get quieter in the future, I will keep the 4" ti in the attic as a trophy....

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update, I ordered the exhaust with a delivery date of 5/20 and immediately was told hours later that it would now be June at the earliest.

I give up.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
On my 5th order for an exhaust, I found a guy on ebay that sold me a brand new HKS 4" Titanium that took 2 business days to get to my front door. Price was just over $1,100

Took me about and hour to pull my exhaust off and get the new one on. When I read about the cheap v-band clamp that comes with the kit I thought to myself "those posts are 10 years old, I bet HKS has made a better clamp by now". Boy was I wrong. Half the installation was trying to get enough of that bolt to poke through and grab with the nut.

The exhaust came with the silencer in it so I decided to leave it on and see how loud the exhaust was. Now the moment of truth. I cranked the car and the engine came on. With the silencer on the canister, it was shockingly quiet. Maybe just a tad louder than the OEM exhaust. After a few minutes I removed the silencer, and you could definitely hear the bass take over. Overall at idle the exhaust is still not that loud. Took the car for a drive to see about the loudness and here is what I thought. Below 2,000 RPMs the exhaust is pretty quiet. Around 3,000 RPMs there is definitely a droning sound. Above 4,000 RPMs is when the exhaust really starts to growl.

Overall i'm happy with the loudness with the exhaust with a 3" mid-pipe, stock cams, and OEM cast iron manifold. I do understand that cams, 4" mid-pipe, and tubular manifold will increase the volume.

Just for people that may read this in the future, I will try to put my thoughts of loudness of this exhaust. 0 being quiet and 10 being loud. This is at idle only.

OEM exhaust 0
Silencer In 2
Silencer out 5
BP 13b 10

Overall this car is much quieter than my 13b, and I was worried this would be louder.

Overall impressions - Exhaust is beautiful. Car sounds great and is not as loud as I thought based on SF comments. Stupid V-band clamp.

(Car looks jacked up, because I just took it off the jackstand)

Reactions: Wreckless
1 - 20 of 20 Posts