Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first post, and I have a questions thats been bothering me for a long time. My first car for sure I want to be a Supra, in the years of 95-97. And yes I'm only 16 and will be paying it all with my own money, I'm not one of those kids where mommy and daddy has to buy them there things. But whats getting to me is how much insurance will be. Again I want a 95-97, and I can't get one till I know the ranges I got in insurance prices. Of course it will be under my parents names, and they haven't gotten any tickets for quite a while, but when they did no points were in effect. I would appreciate whoever can help me. I just need a range monthly. If you can gimme a quote on cheap, and good insurance price ranges, and who I can get cheap insurance from, because auto theft is not a worry, I got a big plan for security, thanks in advance, and I love these forums.:D

-Mike

·
Feck Off My Internets
1,157 Posts
... i bought my car when I was 20.. i have 1 accident and 1 ticket on my record from my previous vehicle.. ins is about 370 a month... then again I have a shitty driving record.. according to the ins companies

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
im also 20.. my car is a 94TT.. im on my own policy through Progressive.... 1 comprehensive claim, 2 tickets on my record, all over a year old (spinning tires, 14 over).... appx. 400 a month (its like 403 and some change) for full coverage with 500$ deductible.. my coverages are fairly high also and ive got a lot of the optional coverages (such as loan payoff coverage, rental reimbursement, etc), the amount you have covered can change how much you pay by a pretty good bit... Im thinking of going to $1000 deductible next time i renew... i talked with my agent and it will save me like $50 a month.. dunno if its worth it though for that extra 50 bucks if something does happen to my baby. probably will keep the 500 deduct. now that i think about it.. lol

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the reaplys but I need a more indepth answer. You guys are on your own insurance as I presume, and your under 25 making you pay more. my car will be under my parents name cause insurance wil automatically be alot cheaper, cuase there over 25 of course.. so can you give me an idea based on that information? And lets say they got a clean record... I'de appreciate some more replies

-Mike

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
ttsupra6969 said:
Thanks guys for the reaplys but I need a more indepth answer. You guys are on your own insurance as I presume, and your under 25 making you pay more. my car will be under my parents name cause insurance wil automatically be alot cheaper, cuase there over 25 of course.. so can you give me an idea based on that information? And lets say they got a clean record... I'de appreciate some more replies

-Mike
For a real "in depth" reply why don't you try talking to Mommy & Daddies insurance agent?

No one on this board can give you accurate info. Why not ring the agent up on Monday and explain the situation?

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
Although it helps that the car is in their name you're still going to get hammered since they have a 16 year old male driver in the house. I agree with Lagtime, why don't you just call the agent and you'll have a spot on answer instead of a range. You don't have to own the car to call for a quote.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good call. Pick up the phone and call your agent for details.

By the way ... you probably won't automatically receive a cheap rate just because the car is listed under mom and pop. As soon as you turn 16, the insurance company will probably rate you "restricted" on one of the vehicles in the household. In other words, the cost to insure 2 vehicles with 2 adults and 1 young driver tends to be more than the cost of insuring the same two vehicles with just two adult drivers. (I have known many parents to get around this fact by buying a beater for their 16 year old, and then insuring it with just liability only)

Again, for details call your agent.

Good luck.

(Also, I am an underwriting manager )

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate response. Ubermensch beat me to the punch. 16 year old in the house = more money ... period.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I never understand how 16 year olds claim to buy a MKIV Supra with their own money. We all know what the price range is for one - could you actually imagine some 16 year old shelling out that much cash for one? Or let's say they finance the car - how are they approved for credit? I assume they will get financing through their parents, and even in that situation, how many 16 year old kids are so dedicated to pay the full amount with interest over the entire duration of the loan?

In any case, the above responses are the best answer. Give a call to mommy and daddy's insurance agent and ask.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am only 20 years old, and just bought a 98 TT and put the whole thing on my credit card. But my insurance is through the roof, about 375 a month, however i am getting a new job as a bartender, and that is the only way i will afford my car. But i will say with out a doubt, it is well worth the money it costs.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
skylinegtr007420 said:
I am only 20 years old, and just bought a 98 TT and put the whole thing on my credit card. But my insurance is through the roof, about 375 a month, however i am getting a new job as a bartender, and that is the only way i will afford my car. But i will say with out a doubt, it is well worth the money it costs.
To each his own, but I fear you'll regret the decision. Making bad fiscal decisions like this early in life (20's) can really hammer you for a long time.

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
skylinegtr007420 said:
Holy Crap! You have a CC with a ~$35k limit at 20 years old?

You'll be paying for the car until you're in your 70's if you only make minimum payments.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

·
Registered
43 Posts
snausa said:
Sorry for the duplicate response. Ubermensch beat me to the punch. 16 year old in the house = more money ... period.
It's called working since 13 all the time. Being smart and landing a great paying job works too. I had earned enough for an MKIV by the time I had turned 16

Some people just have the motivation for it

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im 23

Pay $380 every 6 months for Full coverage

$50 comp
$500 collision and some extras

Insurance company is State Farm, I do have 2 car discount on there also.

Guess im lucky, )

1995 Supra SE

·
Evil Shenanigans
623 Posts
rchainani said:
Some people just have the motivation for it
Truedat! I'm 16 and shopping for a Supra TT to be payed for by me entirely. This has been a goal of mine for some time now. Landing a good paying job while your young and holding it helps greatly. For insurance, I'm gonna be looking at about $320 a month. Clean driving record. On parent's plan.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ttsupra6969 said:

-Mike
I had a 98 Camaro SS (i know, not a supra, but insurance costs are in the same range) insured under my parents name when I was 16.. car was in their name (they bought it for me), insurance in their policy.. it was still $340 a month for full coverage on the Camaro alone, and I wasnt even primary driver of the Camaro.. I was primary on my mom's Camry, but having a young driver on the same policy jacks it up across the board, on every car in the policy... and a sports car just makes it worse. I think my parent's said their insurance went up close to $600 a month when they added me to their policy (340 for adding the camaro to the policy and another 250ish for how much it went up for the 4 cars already on the policy).. dont think youre going to get cheap insurance automatically just because you will be on your parents policy. plan on 350-400 a month for insurance.. if you have the car financed, plan on another 400 or so a month for payments... thats 750-800 a month just to have the car sit at your house.. still got enough money to afford gas, maintenance, tires, etc? just something for you to think about... id say if you can pull $1000-$1200 a month towards the car, you should be good for everything, probably have a little extra.

·
Registered
856 Posts
HomeRocks said:
This isn't exactly an answer to the original question, but it's some good insurance info. My 94TT is fully covered for $1100 a year, and i'm 22 and on my own policy. The trick that will work with many insurance companies is that sometimes it may cost you less to insure two cars than it would to insure the supra alone. With my insurance company, Allstate, they charge me $1700 a year for my financed daily driver (00' Jeep Cherokee), and I insured my supra(I own it outright) as a pleasure car(with allstate, there is no mileage or any other type of limitations for this). So I pay $2800 a year for both cars, fully insured. If I didn't have the jeep, and I had to use my supra as my daily driver, I would be paying around $4000 a year for only the supra. This is one way for some people to get around rediculous insurance rates(I'm in Jersey too....I've heard of some people having to pay 6 and 7 thousand a year here!)
Tony,

How did you manage to do that? I am also 22, and have Allstate as my insurance company. I have two cars that I own (no liens) on my own policy. I asked about the weekend driver with a mileage limitation, since I drive my car maybe at most 1000 miles a year, and they told me that I'm not eligible for their "pleasure" vehicle policy because I'm not 25 and/or married. Do you mind me asking how long you've had continuous insurance coverage for?

Thanks,
-Brian.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wanna first thank all the people who actually gave me a good range in price, but i will call the insurance company for a quote. As for the people who won't believe I'll be paying this on my own, I've been working since I was 13 doing landscaping, was earning around 1500 for the summer, then when winter came by I would go door to door and shovel, and I earned around 800, for the winter, now since I'm 16 I do the same, and me and my older brother will be opening a landscaping business this coming summer. I also hold a job not a very good one, but tolerable, and I'm am partners with my dads buddy, which he buys used cars at auctions, and I will sell them for him at ebay for 20% of what he gets.... So no I believe I won't have no payments, and i won't need mommy and daddy, if its to hard for you guys to believe that many people work hard for what they want, and I hear few people on this thread explain how they worked hard as well, but whether you believe this or not, I relaly don't care I just needed a question answered and thought this would be a good place, and I did get it answered. Thanks again for all the help.

-Mike

·
cinnamon jelly bean
1,653 Posts
If you made that every summer and winter since you were 13 that still wouldnt be nearly enough. Even at a full 4 years which it hasnt been that would be a max of about $9200. You do realize that for a 95-97 6spd you will be paying between 23k and up for a decent one? Keep working for awhile until you more than double what you have now and than get the car. Also why do you have in your profile that you drive a 95TT when you dont?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts