Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's the summer time boys and girls and I've been saving my pennies and nickles for the last 3 years and it's finally becoming a reality. I am investing in my first ever Toyota Supra MKIV..

I have a few questions
1.) Which insurance company is most recommended by you guys? I'm in Ontario Canada looking for the best coverage for the cheapest rate.. ect..

2.) Alarm, which one do you guys have on yours or recommend.. I am considering doing 2 sirens on a backup power system inside, and 3 on the outside as well on a different backup system so it goes off REAL LOUD, and for a LONG TIME. The GPS system as well; so I can always know where my car is ect.. :)

3.) No I'm not a F&F Finatic, yes I am 20 this year, and yes I know this car is going to be a killer to maintain and afford but quite frankly I've waited long enough... my dream is to own this car, and for the first time my dream is becoming a reality... does anyone have any tips when it comes to where to park the car.. where to leave it.. anything to lower insurance payments ect?

I have a SQUEEKY CLEAN driving record :) - I know that helps, and an alarm as well... ect. anything else I should know?

Thanks Again Guys!! YOU GUYS ARE AWSOME!!

Also, as soon as the supra walks my way im joining the Toronto Supra Club.. Looking forward to seeing you again Ken! :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hmmmm, insurance is really high no matter which company you go with. Best bet is to get an insurance broker to do the legwork for you and find you the best rate. If you still live with your parents then you could probably get a multicar discount from their company and put your mom or dad as the primary driver in order to save some money.

I have a Viper 790 responder and a DEI GPS tracking system on my car. I'm not really sure how they compare to other systems but I'm happy with it.

You can't really worry too much about parking the car, etc. If you are too paranoid to drive the car, there isn't much point of owning it. As long as you have proper insurance, you're covered if the worst should happen. However, GET AN APPRAISAL first thing in order to make sure you get the proper value for the car instead of the book value which the insurance company will try to offer you.

And one piece of advice. If you don't have one, GET A WINTER BEATER. These are not cars that you can simply put snow tires on and expect the car to stay on the road. It's not worth the risk to your safety as well as the cars. Too many people realize the hard way that this is not a cold weather car (/end rant)

These cars do not break often, but when they do the parts are fairly expensive. However, overall they are fairly cheap to maintain. Until you start modding, at which point you will be working for the car. Seriously, a crack habbit would be cheaper.

Finally, be prepared to dirty up that driving record.

Enjoy :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Winter Beater is not a problem.. a friend of mine is selling me his Toyota Celica (not the newest of the new generation but the one with the 2 headlights that looks like a smaller crappier supra) :) its black which is always nice.

RBC Insurance / Bank Loan
is method of payment.

I'm friends with a dealership around here, and they are goign to do a dealer trade to get the Supra in :) which helps out A LOT

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, as for the low post counts for those of you wondering, Ive been registered for a long time.. reading.. and reading.. and reading.. and lemme tell ya.. I've learned a lot since the first day I started reading..

·
Registered
254 Posts
insurance isn't all that bad....i go with ICBC lol (like i have a choice :p ) and I pay 1800 a year. I have a Viper alarm put on by the previous owner. Seems solid. You need to chill out with the backup sirens lol if they really want your car they'll take it. Let's face it, no random crackhead is even gonna try to take your car. And that's all those backup sirens really do...scare away crackheads. If they have time to plan it out they'll have all the tools to disable each and every one. Best bet is to get an appraisal like Greg said.

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
from experience dude, don't buy the car if you can't afford insurance. Well more along the lines of IF you're paying something stupid like $400+ a month for insurance. I won't be surprised if you can't get any quotes less then that. There's a lot better things you can spend your money on rather then insurance.

Good luck.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
i agree with what dondz said, it doesnt matter how many sirens you have, if someone wants it bad enough they will get it. One alarm is fine, if one doenst scare them away i doubt 2 or 3 will. if you cant afford the insurence dont buy the car, which means the car iwll be uninsured for most of the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts