Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I really need some help with my audio setup....I'm an absolute noob when it comes to audio setups (wiring is no problem at all). so I already have this Audiovox Vme-9312 headunit installed in my car (which was already installed by the previous owner). it had already a amp and a subwoofer in the trunk...but I didn't like this setup and the subwoofer was way to big....so I sold it.

so at the moment I'm just using the front and rear speakers (I guess they aren't oem speakers...as far as I know), with out any subwoofer....sounds ok, but I'm missing having a subwoofer.
now my question here is...what do I need to get a subwoofer running?
as far as I know there is still the oem amp box under the driver seat (I have a RHD Supra so it's on the right hand side of the car...I assume that's the stereo amp), but I'm not sure If there is still a subwoofer in the there.
I would like to use the oem subwoofer spot since I really like this clean look.

so what do I have to look for and pay attention too?
I know that the headunit has a amp out for front, rear speakers and subwoofer. it also has a external power amp control (don't know what that means).
is it possible to use the oem amp for this or should I get another one?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
If you already have an aftermarket HU and front/rear speakers, then I would get an aftermarket amp to go along with your new sub. There are many 5 channel amps that are small enough to fit in the stock location under the passenger seat, and powerful enough to drive everything. Send the out signals from your HU to your amp and then run the wires to the sub. You're going to have to run a power wire from the battery to the amp. I'm running Wick CAS box with a JL 10". That is designed to fit in the place of the stock sub assembly. I know they have OEM sub speaker replacements but most of the reviews have been poor.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well sounds like a plan...but do i really have to run a wire from the battery to the amp? or is there any other solution which doesn't need this to be done?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Yes, power right from battery only.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'm out then......and there is absolutely now way to just use the stock amp and subwoofer(or a similar one with the same Watt rating) with an aftermarket headunit?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
You can use an aftermarket head unit with the factory amp and the factory sub. I sort of doubt you'd be able to find an aftermarket sub that would be happy being powered by a factory amp though. If you're just looking at a minimal increase in low end bass, why not put a factory subwoofer back in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts