Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up these SuperPro steering rack bushings from here:
I swear on my life that the passenger side one is wrong/too small. The driver side one (next to the pump) fits snugly. The instructions are for the RHD supra, but unless RHD supras have skinnier steering racks it should work just fine if you swap the L/R bushings.
Cross-threaded my fucking subframe already trying to cinch it down. Do I have brain problems? There's no way this bushing is correct.

Driver side one fits nice and snug:

Any one else completed this swap? Also any advice on fixing the cross-threaded hole for the bushing bracket? I stopped about half-way. Should I take a thread-forming M12-1.0 tap and come at it from the bottom of the hole?

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
Do you have the 47 mm or 50 mm bushing? Different sizes for JDM and USDM cars. Contact @bitshftr here on SF. He just installed his with no issues (USDM car).

Ken.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have the 47 mm or 50 mm bushing? Different sizes for JDM and USDM cars. Contact @bitshftr here on SF. He just installed his with no issues (USDM car).

Ken.
bitshiftr has a MK4, he went with StrongFlex bushings. They don't make them for the MK3 I think.
I got some 'Ricochet' brand ones from eBay. Let's see how it goes...
I'll probably ask suspension.com for my $40 back.

·
Super Moderator
10,676 Posts
My mistake. Didn't realize this was a MKIII question. Best of luck.

Ken.

Reactions: omicca

·
Registered
180 Posts
I also ordered a set of SuperPro steering rack bushings and waiting for delivery. Hopefully, they'll fit.

And yeah, Strongflex doesn't carry the Mk3 steering rack bushings. Wish they did, they make good products and have used their subframe bushings.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Run a tap through the hole and pick up a new bolt. If the threads are to fucked up maybe try using a bolt a 1/2 inch longer with a nylon nut as extra security. I have the same bushings and had a horrible time getting my bolts started. Try using Chanel locks to hold the clamps closer together before threading in. I think did something like that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Same here, we had a really hard time getting them in and bolt lining up. As stated I might’ve used channel locks or something to smash it close to get bolt started. Once’s started it will clamp closed. Was a fight though.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Related question, since my car decided to literally tear my passenger side bushing in half, did the rack have to come out to do the swap? I plan on removing mine anyhow, to sort out an annoying steering leak (on a Mk3? Nooooo....), but it can't be driven without a new rack bushing. It can be driven without power steering.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Related question, since my car decided to literally tear my passenger side bushing in half, did the rack have to come out to do the swap? I plan on removing mine anyhow, to sort out an annoying steering leak (on a Mk3? Nooooo....), but it can't be driven without a new rack bushing. It can be driven without power steering.
I don't think it has to come out but I think it would be a major pain in the ass. I can't even imagine trying to get these bushings clamped in from underneath the car.

I have my whole subframe out and taken apart

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did mine while in the car. Dropped my sub frame and everything besides rack and pinion. Didn’t want to separate from steering. Had subframe welded in some areas and powder coated. New bushings at all points and inner and outter tie rods.
I followed poor man mods video on removing and installing subframe.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Looks like I'll be buying an engine support bar then, so I can drop the subframe out and sort out the rack... I really hate that car sometimes.

Can't autocross without power steering, but have absolutely no real need for it anywhere else. Would be nice if we had other options for racks. With Toyota teasing us with door handle reproduction, why not start with things that actually go bad on these cars??? I don't think I've ever seen a door handle on a Mk3 that had gone bad. Meanwhile, just about every Mk3 could use a new rack by now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts