Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We ran in to a VERY strange sound after a cam belt change on my friends Supra. I'll keep it simple:

What was changed originally:
-water pump
-hks cams
-billet tensioner with new idler
-cam belt

Also a new fuel system was installed.

First startup came this noise:

We've tried EVERYTHING:

-Took off auxiliary belt off so it's not the water pump, A/C compressor or PS pump
-Put stock cams back in. No marks on the lobes.
-tried with the original tensioner / idler
-tried with the old cam belt
-stopped turbo from spinning with a rag so it's not the turbo.

Sound seems to come some where from the front of the engine. It doesnt come when the engine idles around 600-700rpm, but eveyrhing after that the dreaded sound comes back. We cant figure it out.. And yes, the sound is really that bad as it sounds on the video.

Any help please?

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
it sounds to me like the tensioner and/or belt, but you certainly took the steps to eliminate it from the equation. sounds just like every belt going bad that i ever heard though. also, you shouldnt stop your compressor blades with a rag, that is a good way to do some damage. oh, another thing while its on my mind, are you sure the car is oiling properly? i have heard that blocked or partially block oil passages can make odd noises, though i highly doubt this is an issue for you, it just came to mind. make sure you dont have a pug stuck in there somewhere!

·
A State of Trance
2,694 Posts
The 2JZ is starting to make a noise when its had enough of Suomi ;)

Weird noise thats for sure, maybe a longshot but airleakage on the new injector o-rings to the head? The IAC valve?

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it coming from the fuel rail area?

R.K.
Well, to me yes when I listened to it. But only when the engine is running. Cant understand what could make such a noise..

HKS Fuel rail with Bosch EV14 injectors.

, another thing while its on my mind, are you sure the car is oiling properly? i have heard that blocked or partially block oil passages can make odd noises, though i highly doubt this is an issue for you, it just came to mind. make sure you dont have a pug stuck in there somewhere!
Yup, shouldnt be any oiling issues.

The 2JZ is starting to make a noise when its had enough of Suomi ;)

Weird noise thats for sure, maybe a longshot but airleakage on the new injector o-rings to the head? The IAC valve?
Nobody can get enough of Suomi :D

That could be something worth while checking... IAC valve worked fine before this.. and we're pretty sure the sound comes from the front part of the engine.

·
Original owner, March '94
224 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing you have no coolant otherwise it would be spewing out the upper water neck. Could the sound be from the water pump and coming out of the neck?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Just a shot in the dark, but I'm guessing you have no coolant otherwise it would be spewing out the upper water neck. Could the sound be from the water pump and coming out of the neck?
serpentine belt is off in the video which drives the pump. So no belt = the pump not running.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
The one thing that I did notice is that in the beginning of the video the timing belt is on what looks like to be perfect. Then it slips/walks to the front of the cam gears.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm wondering if its your fuel system. Maybe the flow is restricted too much by the FPR? Definitely a wierd noise.

R.K.
Well yeah thought about that.. but the sounds comes only when the engine is running, and with vacuum to the FPR, it should restrict it less than just athmosphere pressure, right?

If it is a air leak of some kind, maybe you can do a boost leak test and you might find your problem.
That's next I think.

the belt is moving because the dampener is not installed and thus the timing belt guide isnt, well, guiding the timing belt. how about the oil pump, could IT be going out, something in it, relief valve on it???
Yup, the timing belt is walking as there is no damper installed.

Might be the oil pump yeah, but never heard an oil pump sound like that and it would be a very strange coincidence for it to go out now as the car was driven to the garage a few months ago without a sound like this.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Might be the oil pump yeah, but never heard an oil pump sound like that and it would be a very strange coincidence for it to go out now as the car was driven to the garage a few months ago without a sound like this.
I agree with ya buddy, but there are only a few things in the line of diagnosis and the oil pump is one of them. i put it out there because its a possibility. it could be one of the rotors or, as i said, something to do with the relief valve. im eager to find out what it is myself. keep us updated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts