Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having a really hard time with this hanger.

First off.. I am kinda pissed that once again no instructions were sent what so ever... I and none were posted on MVP's /SF's site. like eric and his products, but this has been an issue for several of his products...

Here are the issues:

The Third pump filter will not stay on the white plastic "fitting" piece. I bought a brand new pump sock filter, but it will just not stay on.. I have asked for clearifcation on this several times, and get told about some mystery ring.. that did not come with the filter, nor the hanger....I ended up just useing a bunch of fuel sealant on the filter on the end of the plastic "nipple" just so i could install the hanger... Any help here?

Then the hole in the lower pump bracket (that holds two of the pumps) for the third pump's feed line was to small.. I drilled it out with the biggest drill bit I had and got the included fuel line to pass though the hole, but it will not allow me to full recess the part of the feed line that goes over the fitting for the third pump filter sock; so I then assembled the hanger with what little information I could find on SF.. and tried to install it... well i had lots of issues.

First off... IT IS IMPOSSIBLE to get the hanger in the take with the fuel level sender on. After fiddling for HOURS trying to get the damn fuel level sender back on.. and I finally jig the hanger resorted to brut force, bent the crap out of the braket, got the fuel level sender on, bent the bracket strait again, and wiggled the hanger down. The fuel level sender and the low fuel warning sensor hit the in-tank sloush bucket.. so some more wiggling bending and having the fuel level sender pop off a few times (UGH) and I finally get the hanger down....and it is too tall and the hat will not rest on the tank... GDI...

So I pull everything back out, and shorten eveything as much as I can.. still... no joy..

The third pump's pick up just sits too low; In order to make this work I will have to drill/grind the hole for the third pump's line in the hanger out so much it will auctually go though the side and just become a groove.... just so it can sit high enough to work.

So i took it apart, and removed the feed line from the hole and just ran it behind the pump bracket... finally.. it appeared to sit low enough... However... no matter what I do the fuel level sender, it hits the sloush tank, and the third pump pick up keeps popping off... UGHHHH

This is definately NOT a simple bolt together and drop in the tank hanger.. Anytime I buy a $500 fuel hanger I don't expect to have go buy additional super huge drill bits so I can drill it my custom CNC machined hanger and I completly expect it to fit, AND come with instructions...

I am getting REALLY REALLY frustraded...

So PLEASE, anyone that has installed this hanger with three pumps can you please chime in and tell me how you put it together to make it work? Can you share how you set up the third pump, and it's pick up? How did you install it with the fuel level sender? How was the sender positioned?

ANY help?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
While I don't have a triple pump setup, I know that with my dual denso setup I put the fuel sender on after I have the pumps in the tank. My friends with the same setup also do this. You might be able to fanagle it in there, but it is just easier to put it on when it is inside the tank. It is only two screws.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions. I would wait for some responses though before you continue to drill/hack up your current hanger.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can do that with the stock hanger, but with the TTC, the hat is a big 4" deep cyclinder... so you can not get you hand in there like you can with the stock hanger

·
Registered
543 Posts
Wow!! I was going to buy this as well... This makes me think of not getting one now after hearing this, unless somebody can clarify... Yeah, for $500, I am suprised that thing is not a direct fit... I think I will stick with my dual Denso's right now, until somebody comes up with something better or fix this problem...

Good luck and keep us posted...

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
shit... i bought one too but not installed yet. is this what i have to look forward to? i always wondered about the third pump's pick-up filter sock... seems like a shady design. and no fuckin instructions. and i already know my dual -8 fittings kinda hit the edge of the top hat even without the plastic lock ring... not sure how thats gonna work out... great...

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
Have you asked Eric for help in any of this? I was waiting to see real world results before I even considered purchasing the hanger.. this thread pretty much answers it though.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
Where's the mystery in all this? Ron, I believe you PMed me about the white nylon fitting not staying on the filter sock and yes I told you about there being a metal ring around the neck of the filter sock. If your filters dopn't have them then I'm sure there is another way to affix the filter sock to a nylon hose barb. Both of my Denso filter socks came with this ring so it was a simple matter of crimping the ring into an slight oval then pressing in the barb. It's secured enough for opperation. Remember it sucks in, not blows out so it doesn't have to be bone tight.

If you haven't gotten it in already, why not try removing the fuel level sensor, and keeping all of the bolts loose so the pumps can slide up and down. Install the hanger in the tank and observe the proper clock position, then tighten al lof the bolts down? My proper clock position was the 2 o' clock position with the filters faicng straight forward; how are you trying to install yours?

Also you shouldn't have have had to drill into the cups, we tested fitted them prior to making the final machining and the third filter is at the same level of the duals. Sorry if you're having problems, feel free to PM me with any questions. But I have to put it out there that calling my product a pos doesn't sit too well with me.

Eric

·
loss for words
109 Posts
you can safety wire the socks on the pump if you need to Ron. We have had too many issues on the team with the socks rotating on the pump and lodging open the door of the "sloush" tank in the race cars.

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Hey Eric, one suggestion is to film the assembly and drop in of the hanger and post it on youtube. I'm sure its a tight fit due to triple pumps, filters and level, there may be a technique to getting it in that Ron might be missing.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eric, I have bought all of your stuff, and the CNC work is simply amazing, I am sorry for ranting there.. I was just completely at my wits end.. bleeding and had gas burning in said cuts..

There just has to be somthing not right..

I am going to take some pictures to show you what I mean..

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is how it was setup last night.... the lowest filter for the third pump just sat too low in the tank, even with the lower pump bracket all the way up....

Here is today's attempt...

the small hole is the one I had to drill out, just to get the fuel line to go though, the only way to get the filter high enough was to either drill it even more, or to run the line behind the bracket...

Input?

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I think I see part of the probem. You have your filter socks pointing backwards. Try this. Stand the hanger on end and clock the whole unit to the two o' clock position. Now (with the hanger at the 2 o' clock) face your filter straight fowards. You should be good to go. Remember when you install it to keep the unit clocked to the 2 o' clock position (with the filters facing to the front of the car). The slosh tank isn't flat on the bottom, and with the socks facing that way it should go in fine.

Thanks again,

Eric

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ugh, I went off a picture in the group buy thread, I will go re-configure it...

How do you recommend I install the fuel level sender?

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
I'd leave it uninstalled until you're 100% happy with the fit. That way it can go in and out without issue. Then once you're sure that you have the filters the right way and that it seats fully, then reinstall the level sensor and wiggle it in there. It's going to be tight but it'll go.

Eric

1 - 20 of 32 Posts