Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyone here in colorado that would be willing to help my get my car running i am so close to fixing the damn thing but can figure out wat exactly is the problem. i dun have too much money to take it to the shop...so ill take any help i can get...thanx guys

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
...let us know what the problem is, maybe some1 on here has had similar probs and can help diagnose one for you/

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well my car has been down for ova a yr now for bhg. i got some headwork done and when i did the valve job the machine shop didnt do the valve adjustment so i had to. and it took me about three times to get it right. then i found out i had bad ecu so replaced that. the car will start sometimes but it is very bad idle you have to hold gas to keep idle. did compression test #5 is 60 adn the rest is at 110. there are no codes. i dun think its a intercooler pipe either.

·
re-born
1,584 Posts
spray starting fluid on the intake manifold if idle goes up then you have a leak and found your problem

·
Registered
109 Posts
sounds like it might be out of time. make sure when you inserted the cam position sensor that all grooves lined up and you were a top dead center. if you are slightly off time then first try to adjust cam position sensor in-place by loosening bolt and moving up and down. you may fix your idle.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cps sensor is pulled all the way up just to get it to idle but if you give it gas doesnt go very high.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zero said:
spray starting fluid on the intake manifold if idle goes up then you have a leak and found your problem
does it have to be starting fluid or any spray like brake cleaner.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
i would adivse against spraying brake cleaner into your engine...

Starting fluid is combustable and is typically used for starting engines, hence the name. The reason he said to do that is becuase if you spray it on the intake manifold, and the idle increases it means the starting fluid is being sucked into the intake and is entering the cylinders. Hence meaning you have a manifold leak. That would definately cause the conditions you describe.

·
27836-12121
1,310 Posts
maybe you installed CPS wrong, so the timing is way off

Just take it out and follow the manual on the correct install procidure, I have done it once myself took the CPS out and installed without rotating the crank to a proper angle, so I barely made it around the block with such a hirrific idle and massive backfires

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
set the timing to 10 degrees btdc...if it still runs like crap...do a leakdown test to see if your problem is witht he valves or piston rings

·
Registered
451 Posts
a dumb question-
A manifold leak would give him low compression in #5?
I could understand the idle problem, and the CPS issue but what is causing the loss of compression?

Steve

·
N/A Power
520 Posts
steve_mk3 said:
a dumb question-
A manifold leak would give him low compression in #5?
I could understand the idle problem, and the CPS issue but what is causing the loss of compression?
Steve
A manifold leak will cause a vary bad idle prob.
As for the comp, if it wasn't like this before and you didn't touch the pistons, either hg or valve leaking. do a leakage test on that cylinder
by the way isn't the minimum comp 128psi?
maybe your head is warped and leaking

1 - 16 of 16 Posts