Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got this car not long ago, oil has been full since I've gotten it, and it suppsedly has a 4.2K mile rebuild on it, I can hear a slight tap in the back of the engine, on top of #6, it's not loud, and its not the intake. Is this something to be worried about, or is this normal, its barely audible as of right now. any help appreciated.

-Shannon

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
If only when cold and goes away when oil pressure builds or warm, it could be a piston slap,
if continuous but louder under load and more noticable under the car it could be a rod knock, and it will get louder over time
if a real light ticking noise more noticable above engine could be valves tapping and could just need adjustment or ignore they all kind of make it

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its always there, warm cold, it does go with engine speed, but it doesnt get any louder when put underload, It sounds like its just valves tapping, i was just making sure, I still owe on the car im not ready for a built block JUST yet! lol

·
I Didn't Do It!
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its turbo 5 speed' Ill go take a video tomarrow see if i can catch the noise. I'm really thinking its just valves, but i wanna be sure.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
pop the valve covers off and check the clearance betweent he lobe and lifter shims...that will tell u if its a valve tap...most likely it is

1 - 6 of 6 Posts