Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a problem that seems to be a mystery to everyone. I have not driven my car for the past 5 months (sucks). Anyway the problem is when I get to 3200 RPM's my car sputters and sometimes totally kills it. I don't hear any wine like usual when the turbo goes out. The car idles perfect and will drive perfect up to 3200 RPM's. I have friends that believe that it could be the 1st turbo? I just want some more opinions before I pull the whole thing apart and buy a big single. PLEASE HELP!!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just replaced them when this started gapped to 30

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am almost sure that is an intercooler hose that is not properly connected. Check all your intercooler hoses and their connections. They can pop off/ get loose and cause those symptoms.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
I vaguely 'remember' reading a post with a similar problem and I think that the culprit ended up being wrongly gaped plugs.
Not sure that you can run a search these days going back more than 2-3 weeks.

If I'm not mistaken about it, then you have to widen the gap.

Good luck

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check both of those I thought about the intercooler hoses because I had just pulled the intercooler apart and cleaned it about a week or two before this happen.

Thank,

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So now what.

At an idle it feels like it is cutting spark to only a few plugs. Only when I am driving it under load at around three thousand RPM's it cuts spark to all the plugs and it kill's the car. Almost like the ECU is freeking out and cutting spark. I ran it for codes and got 34 which is Turbo Pressure Malfunction and I got 35 which is Turbo Pressure Sensor Circuit.

I thought it might be the Turbo Pressure Sensor which is sending bad signals to the ECU? I am going to try to switch it out with a friends this weekend.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
197 Posts
If the computer stops receiving the signal from the turbo pressure sensor at any time above 2400 rpm and with a throttle opening angle of 20 degrees or more, then it cuts fuel. Make sure your hose is still on the turbo pressure sensor. Make sure the electrical connector is on. If there is a problem here it will throw both of the codes you are having, 34 & 35. It's probably just a blown hose.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I did the 12volt mod and had no effect, I am waiting for a I am going to switch out the TPS with a friends to see if it has any effect.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found the reason for the TPS code, it was a loose wire down at the ecm. I repaired the wire and am not getting the engine codes anymore. Only am still getting the same problem missing at 3200 rpm's, I found that If I stay on the gas it will go over 3200 rpms and both the turbos are spooling up only there is no power in the car at all.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I rechecked my codes and keep geting code 13 and I don't understand what it means.
Does anyone know what this means?

1. No NE singnal to ECM for .1 sec. or more at 1,000 RPM or more

2. NE signal does not pulse 12 times to ECM during the interval beween G1 and G2

3. Deviation in G (G1, G2) and NE signal Coninues for 3 Sec. during idleing (Throttle fully closed ) after engine warmed up.

They might as well been talking Japanese because I have no idea what they are saying.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
197 Posts
NE is the crankshaft position sensor.
G1 is camshaft position sensor #1, G2 is camshaft position sensor #2
Make sure the crank position sensor connector if firmly attached, as well as the 2 cam position sensors.
There could be a problem with either one of the three sensors, or their wiring circuits.
The problem could be in the computer.
Inspect the timing belt for missing or damaged teeth. Or possibly the belt has stretched and jumped a tooth.
It would be nice if you had a friends Supra there to swap parts out one at a time to help try to isolate the problem.
Pull the connectors off of the crank and cam position sensors and measure resistance (should be between 835-1400 ohms). I'm not positive but you may have to remove the crank sensor from the engine to check it. (Get a second opinion on that, if you have to go this far)
Hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts