Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here are my symptoms driving down the road adn i touch the gas adn it doesnt accelerate the rpms just go up. 86.5 N/a with auto tranny. could this be my throttle positoin sensor or what could it be?

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
does it drive fine. i dont know shit about autos so im gonna sounds stupid but could something in the auto slip like a clutch would?

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Mine didn't shift out of first, when the speedo was missing. So if your speedo cable, or speedometer is broken, the ECT module doesn't get the output of the speedsensor there... and won't shift. I had to disconnect the ECT(passenger kick panel) and manually shift to get it home and reinstall the guage cluster with the speedometer. Once that was done, I reconnected the ECT and it was fine.

Beyond that, you could be slipping gears... check to make sure you have enough fluid, or TOO much fluid in the tranny. Good luck.

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but could this cause the high rpm and no acceleration

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Hmm. I've had my speedo disconnected and my auto shifted fine.
After checking your fluid level, check the electrical connectors on the tranny. On a turbo there are 4 of them. I don't know about an N/A. I've had one of them come loose and the results were much like you described.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
brs86supra said:
but could this cause the high rpm and no acceleration

Yes... When it happened to me, I was at 4500+ RPM and maybe going 30-35... burning out 1st gear. I may have maxed out at 45, while going downhill.

There's a section in the TRSM that tells you how to check for these specific symptoms... including pulling tranny codes and doing drive-ability tests with the ECT unplugged... U should probably try the TRSM troubleshooting steps 1st. Then tell us what you found.

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am getting codes 21 and 51 what are these codes

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
code 21 is O2 sensor

Code-51 is Switch Signal

Diagnosis

No "IDL" signal, "NSW" signal or "A/C" signal to ECU, during diagnosis check.

Trouble Area

A/C switch circuit
A/C switch
A/C amplifier
Throttle position sensor circuit
Throttle position sensor
ECU

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont understand what is wrong i just put a new oxygen sensor in the car and a throttle position sensor adn it is stil doing the same thing my friend says it feels like the tranny but i dont know. does anyone have any idea on what else it could be?

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and i just reset the memory and it is still giving me code 51 what is up with this car one thing goes wrong right after another

·
Registered
418 Posts
If your motor is increasing revs and the wheels are not speeding up proportionately; that tells me that somewhere between the transfer of power from the motor to the stuff that makes the wheels turn (tranny) you are losing grip.
How's your tranny fluid?
I suspect something mechanical (i'e torque convertor.)

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats what im thinking i think it has something to do with the tranny. cause i drive adn then it feels like it wont shift into the next gear adn then teh rpms raise when i try to accelerate. then i let teh rpms go down to like 1200 adn then it shifts to the next gear. this is starting to get on my last nerves it has happened to me in town several times but tonight it happened to me on the highway going 60mph and then i had to decelerate to like 55and then it finally shifted adn started acting right. how would i know if it is the tranny or not?

·
7M Love
735 Posts
Like stated by Supraphile: if the revs are going up, and you aren't going any faster, then it has to be something in the tranny. If the car is just staying in gear and not shifting, then it could be something else. So is the engine revving up high at the same speed, or is it just not shifting?

·
scksupe
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its revving high at the same speed adn then when i let teh rpms go down it goes back to normal rpm range adn acceleration

1 - 14 of 14 Posts