Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a BL400 and when i cruise around town the windows down, the shifter gets very hot..its so hot that even the plastic piece around it becomes hot too..

i went to get an tranny fluid change and had everything checked out but everything works fine..i even ran 3 consecutive 9s in the 1/4 mile with no problems..

well, i solved this problem...what do you think i did??????

·
Bad Karma Supra
2,784 Posts
wtf, is this trivial pursuit??

I think you ran a complex series of water cooling lines around your transmission...obviously an add-on from a water/air IC with the ice box in the hatch :)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i didnt do shit but rolled my windows up...for some reason there is some kind of vacumming effect that sucks the heat from the tranny inside the car thru the shifter....

i was driving home from the track last week and it was getting hot inside the car so i decided to roll the windows up and turn on the AC..next thing i noticed was the heat going away..i thought to myself there is no way the AC is that good...so i rolled the windows down and put my hand by the shifter and noticed the heat imediately coming back...i tested this a few times to make sure and everytime it was the same....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think its a freak...its just physics...when you drive with the windows down, somehow the heat is sucked in from the bottom of the car where the tranny is inside the car...when the windows are up the cabin becomes pressurized and the heat cannot get into the car..

i dont know, maybe im just talking thru my ass...but thats what is happening!!!!!!!!

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Yea... With the th400 you no longer have the stock boot which prohibits the heat from entering the cabin... not rocket science:)

·
Very Senior Member
10,053 Posts
sc300 said:

i dont know, maybe im just talking thru my ass...but thats what is happening!!!!!!!!
maybe that's where the heat is coming from!! :fawk:

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
I have this same exact problem with my toyota auto...

heres a new one for ya... leave the ac off... drive on the eway for half an hour... remove dash peices and feel around the radio or inside the dash... it gets really really hot!!!!

real problem is the way that the stock air ducts are routed... hot air is always running through the dashboard heating everything up!

the reason you noticed it from your trans is because you touch that part regularly.. now try touching something else in that under dash area

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
sc300 said:
i dont think its a freak...its just physics...when you drive with the windows down, somehow the heat is sucked in from the bottom of the car where the tranny is inside the car...when the windows are up the cabin becomes pressurized and the heat cannot get into the car..

I was kidding, and yes it is physics. Moving fluids (air) cause low pressure areas, its known as Bernoulli's Principal. For example; when air passes over the top of an airfoil (airplane wing) the area above the wing becomes a low pressure area. The area below is a higher pressure, resulting in lift.

In respect to the heat getting sucked into the car, the air flowing past the open windows creates a low pressure area. The cabin of the car is thus a higher pressure than the area just outside the open windows, causing air from the cabin to push out the windows. The doors, windshield, and hatch are all sealed, so air from the sub tunnel (which is not sealed) is pushed up into the cabin to replace the air being pushed out the windows.

I think this is right, please correct me if im wrong.

Oh yea, not trying to be an ass..but there is no such thing as suction. Only low pressure areas which result in air being 'blown' or 'pushed'. My physics teacher's motto was "Nothing sucks, everything blows".... no one every forgot it either, heh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts