Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a whole lot of point here, but thought I'd share something that I'd kind of lost sight of. I went to Mazfest at buttonwillow this last weekend. This was the first time the new miata has been on track. Its completely stock driveline (90hp?) slightly lightened, caged, with KW coilovers and Nitto NT01s was an incredibly fun package. It was a great exercise to re-learn the lines of the track and focus on where I could carry more speed. I'm convinced I'll be faster in high hp cars after spending a day out there like that.

And then it started to rain. :D

RX7's of all years and builds as well as just about everything else out there fell prey as they slipped and slid thier way around the track.

Makes me grateful for learning to drive on the east coast. half my track time back thier seemed to be in the rain. :p

Matt

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
Sounds like a fun experience. Thanks for sharing ...got vids by any chance? I'm sure it would be fun to actually see.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
none that are in car. I think there are some chase vids that were taken. if I get hold of them online i'll let you know...

·
Heavy Metal Momentum
1,121 Posts
Not a whole lot of point? C'mon Matt, I think it's certainly useful for folks to hear that nimble and good traction outweigh power on track more often than not. Sounds like it was a fun time and just your weather.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
prsrcokr said:
Not a whole lot of point? C'mon Matt, I think it's certainly useful for folks to hear that nimble and good traction outweigh power on track more often than not. Sounds like it was a fun time and just your weather.

Driving in the rain makes you smooth out all your inputs which when applied to being right on the edge of adhesion in the dry makes for a fast driver. I have driven my CRX on Kumho V710s on a wet but only slight drizzle track before. Made for interesting driving except where the water ran across the track in a few places.

Barry H.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Yep -- heavy medium-power AWD cars are brain-dead easy to drive in the rain -- I just found that out today.

I think I'll stick with RWD -- more engaging and more fun. :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I agree. I drove a student's VW R32 (with mods) on street tires at Barber for a session in a light rain and it blew my mind how easy it was to drive AWD in the rain. It was like driving in the dry. It really pissed off a friend of mine who was driving an Alfa Romeo race car on Hoosier Dirt Stockers (which stick like mad in the rain but god forgive you if the track starts drying) and I chased him down in a street car. AWD in shitty conditions :rockon:
Barry H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts