Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm currently having a problem with my 97tt bpu+. From time to time, under full throttle, in 2nd and 3rd gear(possibly 4th), I am seeing hesitation around 6000rpm. As I'm acellerating I notice that the tach pauses briefly (around 1-2 seconds) usually at about 5800-6000 rpm. This is with my foot flat to the floor. I checked my #1 plug and it looks like new. I have a 97 tt w/avcr,safc,ttc,n1,random hiflo,ngk 3330 gapped .032. I'm thinking ignition problems of some sort, but I don't know where to start, or what to look for. Should I check all plugs? I have a multi meter, how do I check the coils? The car has 50,000 miles and runs great other than this sporadic hesitation. Thanks, Carl

·
NSW supra club Member
475 Posts
the clutch has nothing to do with his tacho pausing for a 1 or 2 sec.
If his clutch was slipping,im sure he would know about it,your revs would go up quickly but your speed wont.
I dont know that much about supras as i just got mine so i cant say what it could be(some1 else that knows can tell you more)but to me it does sound like some kind of a miss at high RPM.
If you say your no.1 plug is clean,how are the rest?
They should be fairly even on all 6,if only no.1 is clean,then thats where i would be looking at(no.1 coil,lead,wiring!).

Z

·
0 Posts
his clutch could be glazing and hesitate to grab, RPM doesnt have to jump-grab to see a bad clutch....from my experience.
#1 plug is the least accurate plug to check, #6 will be the hottest so check all plugs see if your car is hesitating cause of timing retard due to knock or misfire.
also, NGK 3330 copper tip plug should be changed every 3000miles. it doesnt last that long.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Try gapping them down a little more. The spark might be getting blown out from high boost, if your coils are a little weak.

Pull all the plugs also, and check them out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts