Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
umm yea.. my names josh! but yea.. im looking to do a motor swap and im reaaally looking at the 7m-gte cause well i have a ge... and i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a really good condition one for cheap.. and what will i need with the motor for the entire swap.. new tranny? new what else? just wondering how much ill be looking at spending as well.. ive really tried to look all this up myself.. but havent found much.. and later ill put some pics up of my babY! ok well thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,877 Posts
You can use a W58 just fine with a near-stock 7M-GTE swap - The R154 is only really needed once you start making bigger power (350-400whp+) So you can offset the costs by doing the GTE swap first, then once you start going for bigger numbers you can swap the R154 and a 3.73 or 3.90 limited slip diff in.

As for finding everything you need, the basics are the 7M-GTE, the appropriate engine harness and ECU for it (the 87-88's are different from the 89-92's as far as electronics) the igniter pack and MAF, IC & IC piping, and a new fuel pump as the stock NA one won't really hang with a 7M-GTE well.
You'll probably want to do a downpipe and exhaust right off the bat, but if you can't afford it the stock DP and catback from a turbo MK3 are dirt cheap. If I were doing the swap, I'd recommend budgeting for ARP head studs and a metal head gasket before you even install the 7M-GTE, as the stock HG's are crap. The headgasket is also much easier to change when the motor is out of the car, lol.

·
It's only the beginning..
690 Posts
^ He pretty much covered everything.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
Wreckless said:
You can use a W58 just fine with a near-stock 7M-GTE swap - The R154 is only really needed once you start making bigger power (350-400whp+) So you can offset the costs by doing the GTE swap first, then once you start going for bigger numbers you can swap the R154 and a 3.73 or 3.90 limited slip diff in.

As for finding everything you need, the basics are the 7M-GTE, the appropriate engine harness and ECU for it (the 87-88's are different from the 89-92's as far as electronics) the igniter pack and MAF, IC & IC piping, and a new fuel pump as the stock NA one won't really hang with a 7M-GTE well.
You'll probably want to do a downpipe and exhaust right off the bat, but if you can't afford it the stock DP and catback from a turbo MK3 are dirt cheap. If I were doing the swap, I'd recommend budgeting for ARP head studs and a metal head gasket before you even install the 7M-GTE, as the stock HG's are crap. The headgasket is also much easier to change when the motor is out of the car, lol.

thats pretty much right on... it will be quite a project for sure, but im sure it will be worth your while :D

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
If you can find a parts car to rip everything off of it will make things much easier. I bought every part separate and it was a real hassel and ended up taking a long time. If your GE motor is still good, try getting all the parts first before ripping out the GE

·
always watching
362 Posts
just what he said, but if I were you and had the money I would do the r154 at the same time as well. you should be able to find one at a junk yard or on here, supramania, etc. and the lsd's aren't too hard to come by either. I would pull the one out of the na sport package. If you don't have the budget then yeah, wait but I'd do it all at once. just my .02

1 - 6 of 6 Posts