Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
My boss set me on fire!?!
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Here is the deal.

I have a SC300 with Full 2JZ SWAP on USDM TT Auto Harness. I am running the stock auto, Small single (PT61 DBB) Typical bolt ons and such. I currently am running stock fuel system, stock 550 injectors, and stock Supra Pump. I am about to install the following.

Twin Supra pumps,
-8 Feed
850 Injectors
Aeromotive regulator
Twin feed modified stock rail
and either AEM EMS or Map ecu.

I currentl have a AEM but no installed yet. I am a bit worried on the AEM for a couple of reasons. I have a 40 mile commute to (one way), and I dont want any issues with the AEM to keep me from going to work, or put me on the side of the road. I am confident that the AEM can make power, but keeping it running and running right can be an issue. Also the whole automatic shifting thing with the AEM...

I am considering the Map ecu as I am only looking for around 600whp on boost (currently have dynoed 517whp) The turbo will run out at around 600. I might spray it a bit, but not sure. I am putting a built toyota trans in it soon, so I cant go too crazy with the power, not like I am going with a turbo 400 or anything.

My only concerns with the map ecu is as follows.

No timing controll, Will there be too much timing as it makes the stock computer dial back injector pulse width. How well does it acutally work. I have not used one or seen one in use.

I do like that that the stock computer will take care of shifting...

Well that is it. Thanks and look forward to see what yall have to say.

Danny

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
If you don't have a good tuner locally or flying in such as Justin Nenni, Larry at SP, Darrin @ Titan, John Reed, or Jason Siebels, then I would put the MAP ECU in. The stock computer will take care of 650HP just fine.

·
Boost Junkie
12,692 Posts
Agreed. The AEM may be overkill for your set up.

Steve

·
Boost Junkie
12,692 Posts
My buddy has the MAP ECU in his sheet metal widebody PHR State 2 car and has made 690whp with it. The car runs great. I am planning on switching to it sometime soon.

Steve

·
Registered
484 Posts
I personally witnessed JamesN1830 drive his AEM equipped MKIV to TX2k6 from Missouri, street raced it a little, over to San Antonio, and back to MO (approx 2000miles) without even a hiccup from the AEM setup. And he tuned it himself w/o previous experience... I'm sold on AEM.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
godelfer said:
Have yall used a Map ECU your self? Have you liked it?

Thanks

Danny
I have it, car runs great, starts up everytime in under 2 seconds. An AEM is really overkill for your needs. There are only a handful of people on here with it that can tune it themselves. Everyone else carries around a laptop with them because the tune is so jacked and wishy-washy that they have to change something everytime they get in it.

·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dyno tuning is not an issue. I am working part time at a shop which is factory trained by AEM and has a dyno. I have hundreds of hours tuning several differnt EMS systems, however just dont want to have to mess with it every day and such. I am leaning towards the MAP at this point.

I put the AEM in today and something is up (another reason I am leaning towards the MAP ECU) When I turn the key off the 12V switched going to all of my aftermarket electronics is staying on. The EFI Relay is getting hot. Only with the AEM. With the stock ECU it is fine.

THanks for the help guys.

Danny

·
Under Construction
555 Posts
godelfer said:
Dyno tuning is not an issue. I am working part time at a shop which is factory trained by AEM and has a dyno. I have hundreds of hours tuning several differnt EMS systems, however just dont want to have to mess with it every day and such. I am leaning towards the MAP at this point.

I put the AEM in today and something is up (another reason I am leaning towards the MAP ECU) When I turn the key off the 12V switched going to all of my aftermarket electronics is staying on. The EFI Relay is getting hot. Only with the AEM. With the stock ECU it is fine.

Danny
If the AEM is propery tuned for your mods and you don't add more mods, you will never need to mess with it. Tuning your car is where the $$$ comes in. Make sure you have a reputable tuner and not someone that followed an AEM course. I have witnessed a few shops that say they are AEM qualified and have a certifcate however, they can't tune a car for shit.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
I would also tend to the MAP ECU. I have it in my ride (just BPU) and it was a peace of cake to tune and understand it. Plus there are some pretty decent maps out in the WWW to download and use instantly.
With your goal this is just fine and saves a ton of $$Just my 0.02$
Gerd

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
godelfer said:

Danny
I don't have a wiring diagram at work with me, but definitely check out where the EFI signal comes from. I've had a number of AEM products that had either a faulty component/driver inside, or bad solder connection to the board. Each time they fixed it right up....but it's a pain to mail them the part and wait for return. I've often thought of the idea of making a test harness for the AEM that would give necessary inputs and have the ability to test all the outputs. I've heard they are having better quality control since they switched to the darker boxes...but that's just a rumor I have no data to support either way.

·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well mine is an older unit. Unused but pretty old, Serial # 240. Either way I ordered my Map today. I will not sell the aem until I am satisfied with the map ecu.

I will let yall know how well it works.

Danny

·
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too bad i dont live in new orleans any more, I see you are in slidell. I could come and check it out. Well too bad.

Why are you going to AEM now? Want more power than you have?

THanks

Danny

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I had a Map, tuned it myself and the car ran fine. Now I have an AEM and tuned that myself and the car runs better than the stock ecu with Map. I'd do AEM but you can't go wrong with either.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts