Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me diagnose this problem. I am a New Supra owner and I have a question, please don't flame

93 TT BPu 120k miles

When I get on the throttle the car builds boost fast but it does not go anywhere, it is almost like the throttle is sticking. When I punch it on the interstate the rpms drop and stay there, Then they shoot up real fast and the car accelerates fine. The Check engine light comes on and sometimes the overdirve off flashes....But I know the Tranny is in great condition.

I have had this car for about a month and no problems.....It is an auto but I love it. It is in perfect condition with e being the second owner and the original owner was about 70 years old.

Thanks guys
Jonathan:D

·
Registered
658 Posts
one thing you might check is the compression on the head. With an older not performance prior owner I bet the heads are carboned up. It is an easy fix
Italian tune up empty road good tires floor it a few times the high boost should burn off some of the carbon build up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I have done that alot and it seems like it gets worse with all this cold ass weather

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you haven't done so already, I would take it to a supra specific mechanic (or at least somebody that knows the cars well) and get the entire car checked over, and tuned-up where necessary. I bought my car with ~60K miles and it required about $1000 just to get up to top running condition, mainly because the previous owner was a cheap bastard and never fixed or changed anything. Still had all the original fluids :rolleyes:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a thought but maybe the traction control is kicking in. Try pulling the trac fuse. Maybe the tires slip causing the trac to operate. Pushing the trac button won't keep the traction control from operating. You need to pull the fuse. Also try reseting the ECU by pulling the main fuse.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys I really appreciate the help I tried all those things already but no luck. Strangely enough it does do it in the cold wet weather worst. But any more replies will be greatly appreciated and looked over and taken into consideration. Thanks again

·
Registered
372 Posts
Could you give us more info? It sort of sounds like you're hitting boost cut. Is your car stock? Any mods done to it? If you can give more info we can help you out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I have hks Boost cut defenser, greddy intake, greddy profec b (14 pounds low and 19 pounds high) Tanabe downpipe,tanabe super medallion, and some other shit not pertaining to the performance of the engine

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmm... not much experience with the HKS FCD. Does the car hesitate like that with the bc turned off? Have you checked the plugs? How does it idle? Does it run fine other than WOT? Have you checked the throttle cable to check for play? Have a boost guage? What does it read at idle?

I know it's a hundred questions but it's a start.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I never fuck with the FCD. YOu should not have to at All. The plugs are brand new and it chops when I first warm her up then purrs like a kitten. One of the quitest supras idling I have ever heard. The throttle cable has alot of play but everyone I have talked to said that is normal on supras and my boost guage has plenty of negative vaccum. Car boost' great. So I am still baffled.........Anymore???? Oh well I will keep replying and hopefully we can all trouble shoot this damn thing

·
Registered
372 Posts
If the throttle cable has play, try tightening it up, just to see if it helps. Do the cruise cable as well. They should be tight enough to remove slack, but should not be pulling the idler arm back if the gas is depressed. What is the boost guage specifically reading under idle? Also what plugs are you running, and what gap?

·
Registered
372 Posts
LOL whatever Martin. kaosv1 has made a great point. Check your codes they'll tell you what the problem is.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I was going to pull the code but the check engine light went off. I really send a thanks out to all you guys for helping me with this.....I will keep you updated.

Could it be anything to do with the map sensor and the cold weather....I.E Voltage?

·
Registered
759 Posts
93ttbpu said:
Well I was going to pull the code but the check engine light went off.
You can check it anyway, the code stays in the computer regardless of whether or not the check engine light is on or off. It only clears out if you reset the ECU.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can help you asswipe change the fuckin plugs and be done with it..............and throw the traction control fuse in the trash..............

1 - 19 of 19 Posts