Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just joined, 18 yrs old from the boston area. here are some pics of the car that brings me here, my dads 90 n/a which is the closest thing i have to a car of my own.

feel free to post comments, just wanted to say hi :fruit:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol thanks, yeah i deleted the top pic(under the cover), they werent all resized because the are all from different dates and uploaded at seperate times etc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Only 102k miles and the interior looked clean, shift knob still had leather(I've never seen that before).
If you ever wan't to turbo it, get the 7m series engine out of your head and drop either a 1jz-gte or 2jz-gte in it.
That is the one sentence I wish someone would have told me before I wasted years of time converting my non-turbo to a 7m turbo with very little satisfaction
I have the 1j in my car, a little work but well worth it if you do a clean install making cruise control, ac work.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
I'm just saying, that car looks like its been sitting for awhile.

Change all fluids, check sparkplugs, cap & rotor, check your drivebelts aswell as timing belt, and I bet the valve covers are leaking.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey, thanks for the suggestions. actually the pic of it with the tires filthy are just because it was parked for the winter months and my dad doesn't have space in his garage. He bought it in august spotless, running great from the original owner who used it as a weekend cruiser for most of its life.

edit: as for going turbo, we'll prob do catback, cat, and intake first :)

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
hey, thanks for the suggestions. actually the pic of it with the tires filthy are just because it was parked for the winter months and my dad doesn't have space in his garage. He bought it in august spotless, running great from the original owner who used it as a weekend cruiser for most of its life.

edit: as for going turbo, we'll prob do catback, cat, and intake first :)

Does the state have to test the car for emissions and inspection?

If not, just run a test pipe. If so, its not worth getting a hi-flow cat if you're staying N/A.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes MA tests for emissions unless that car is an antique (20+ years old), but i think they do it every 3 years, so yeah a test pipe probably would be better since i only have a year to go, and can always slap a cat on if they reject me.

Also the exhaust/intake would be futureproof as well if i wanted to go 2jz right? the exhaust should be pretty much bolt up, maybe a little fab at most? and the intake shouldnt be too hard.

·
Banned
4,966 Posts
Every 3 years, shit.. get the test pipe and swap the cat before and after you test the car.

Here in the City of Memphis, its every year in order to get your registration, but I live in the county so it doesn't effect me.

3" turbo back FTW.

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes MA tests for emissions unless that car is an antique (20+ years old), but i think they do it every 3 years, so yeah a test pipe probably would be better since i only have a year to go, and can always slap a cat on if they reject me.

Also the exhaust/intake would be futureproof as well if i wanted to go 2jz right? the exhaust should be pretty much bolt up, maybe a little fab at most? and the intake shouldnt be too hard.
Incorrect, MA changed it's emission rules back in September/October I believe. OBDII cars are checked, but now any OBDI car is not tested for emissions. You only fail if you car is "billowing smoke" I think is the term they use. When I got the Supra inspected on Oct 30th, the guy said he only had failed one car so far, an old Beetle that made the entire garage hazy.

Edit: Almost forgot, OP your car looks to be in great shape, good job.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Incorrect, MA changed it's emission rules back in September/October I believe. OBDII cars are checked, but now any OBDI car is not tested for emissions. You only fail if you car is "billowing smoke" I think is the term they use. When I got the Supra inspected on Oct 30th, the guy said he only had failed one car so far, an old Beetle that made the entire garage hazy.

Edit: Almost forgot, OP your car looks to be in great shape, good job.
ah thanks for the info! im not sure how much a test pipe would help an N/A over a turbo, but being N/A id be willing to take anything i can get.

thanks for the compliments everyone, and a question for ya. If i did full exhaust - headers and did intake, would it be worth my time/money to pick up an apexi safc? I dont know how they hook into the ecu or if they even work on the mk3 n/a ecu, it would be custom installed unless they sell a harness/adapter for it(me + soldering iron = mess)

and I'm in Melrose

edit: and im wondering if theres a quick way to wire the foglights to work with the switch even when the headlights are off?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts