Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
does anyone make a transbrake for an a340e?

I just got an 87 Supra w/ turbo and auto. I'm a 1/4 mile domestic guy at heart. My goal is to improve 1/4 mile times with this supra only. I don't care about dyno #s or road racing, or even "being a man with a manual trans."

I don't have ANY knowledge of these cars at all. My other car is a 1967 mustang that i put a 408 ci 351w in, converted to fuel injection, bolted on a paxton and then put a built AOD behind it. I love my AOD, shifts real quick and firm, has a trans brake, and has overdrive.

I did a search about autos in MKIIIs and i only saw two interesting things. One was the link to http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/ and the other was a quote from "leadfoot" that said "Now, if you want a build auto tranny for serious power, that is a whole different story all together..."
That whole different story has never seem to come up on Supra Forums with a complete answer (that i could find).

Right now my goal is only to break into the 12s. I understand this doesn't take a ton of power but I know once i reach that goal, I will set another, and another. So I'm kind of building for the future.

The main reason for this post is this...

DOES ANYONE MAKE A MANUAL VALVE BODY W/ TRANSBRAKE FOR THE A340E????????

That's all, sorry for the length of the post but I thought i'd introduce myself a bit first.

Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
Racing/Modding MK3 for drag:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=147773

Like Schmleff said, there is are a couple of threads talking about the auto now, one is my thread about my slipping automatic (at only 275rwhp :( ), and the other is a thread entitled "MKIV guys are getting quick" Basically if your ultimate goals are for 11sec or slower I'd go with an upgraded version of the stock auto. Faster than that, and I'd talk to Sound Performance about getting a suitable domestic automatic adapted

·
2,279 Posts
I've got the link at the house, but its to a shop in OZ that makes kits that let you mount any domestic trans you want to the 7M. I gave it to ang a couple weeks ago, so he might be able to post it before I get home.

Hughes also offers torque converters for our car. 300-350 bucks for a 3200 stall. Thems folks be local to me.

import performance trans also offers upgraded auto stuff for our cars.

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,086 Posts
Welcome man, if you are serious about building a quarter miler, I would set out from the beginning with the intensions of swapping out to a domestic auto, probably GM because they are the cheapest in the long run. The 7M will definitely build the power, a really built auto will get you the E.T.'s.

The problem with building the A340E is it will end up costing you a fortune to build it up comparable to a Turbo 400, etc.

Good Luck, keep us informed and don't be shy with the questions.

·
2,279 Posts
Glad to see thats working out for you. Have you told anyone at clublexus about it? I'm sure those guys would love to know about it. If not I can understand. Having the only north american manual SC400 would be pretty sweet!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
ya i made a post over there, i dont really care about the uniqueness of it, i just dont like auto, i think mines about to go anyways... thnx again for the link...

Although most of the lexus guys arent exactly what one would call performance car enthusiasts ;)

And chris good luck, supra has good powerplant for drag, enjoy your car...

Ang

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First I just did a search for "mkIII" and "automatic" and read everything that came up. so i tried. :confused:

Thanks for the suggestions about swapping to a domestic trans but i REALLY don't want to go that route. I put an AOD in my 67 mustang which came with a C4 and it was a huge headache (although it shouldn't have been). My headers are too close to the starter so i had to hunt down a minitorque that would fit (not all do). I had to shorten the driveshaft, then had many many headaches with poor mechanics who made me a driveshafts that was too short TWICE!!! Then there was shifter linkage that had to be changed. The dipstick was a pain. And a few other little things... I dont feel like doing that again.

There is NOOOO WAY i'm putting a NON overdrive auto in a car that came with overdrive, especially after i went through all that work to do just the opposite with my mustang. the 700r4 has the worst gear ratios EVER designed (like 3.06:1 first gear and 1.5:1 second:rolleyes: ) so that's a big no. Besides that I have not seen a transmission better than a Lentech AOD so i can't justify buying a 200r4 and hoping it works as well. Lentech sells bellhousing for a chevy so if i wanted i could get that and use an adapter. Big problem now is that the AOD i already have cost about $3,500. Not very cheap and I wouldn't go through this whole headache of swapping trans for a stockish AOD. That is why i'm wondering if i can just rebuild the stock a340e with basic upgrades that will handle 400-500 hp WITH A TRANSBRAKE. I see phoenixhardparts.com "modifies the valve body" but do they make one that locks 1st and rev so I can make the most of my converter? If they don't, does anyone?

Is there anyone with a supra (fast or not) running a a340e with a transbrake?

And as far as converters go, I wouldn't have anyone but Emerald Converters (walnut creak, ca) build me a converter. Their's are amazing.

Thanks again for the suggestions but I'm really dying to know if someone sells a vavle body with a transbrake.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
welcome chris
suggestion- if you have a specific question you would prob get better response if using that in your subject line.
that being said- i have the php tranny in my car. it has held great so far (420rwtq). was $1600 and whatever that trq converter you want costs.
i dont know of anyone running a transbrake on a 340e.

good luck

dave

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Yo dude, a little off, but do you have pics of your car? aight peace

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Sound Performance (known as SP) makes a replacement A340E that runs $2900 + the cost of a torque converter. SP also sells these at a cost of $725 and $1200.

http://www.sound-performance.com/parts/tranny.htm

I can just imagine what 3k put into a power glide would yield...

SP also had turbo kits for around $5k that'll give you all the power you ever wanted. Something around an 63mm turbo would get you into the 10s with an auto tranny.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hey chris, go to www.thepartstrader.com, click on toyota supra, after that click on engine and drivetrain ( full-ads), and it should be the first ad ( Raymond McJonathan of maryland) -- he's got lots of high performance parts including a level 10 mklll tranny with stage 3 componets.

i bought an exhaust from him a little while ago and he was quick about with it ----- trustworthy person.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts