Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Business Baby
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story.........

My car has been overheating for awhile, off and on since January. Just recently, since it's been getting warmer it overheats almost everytime I drive it, and it always runs out of coolant, but I'm preety sure it's not leaking. I figured it could have just been the thermostet, so I replaced that. Drove it again, wasn't overheating, and then it shot right up to over red. Figure, shit bring it home, and let it sit for a bit, and relieve the tension in the radiator. ( I've done it numerous times, has just steamed before) This time was much different. It freakin rocketed into an explosion of awesomeness and shot steaming coolant all over my engine bay, and thankfully got none on me. The overfill tank was bubbling, and it was very dark. I'm thinking BHG, but my oil isn't milky or anything. What do you guys think? If it is BHG, what's the best route to go? Suggestions would be awesome.

Cliffs:Car's overheating, replaced thermostet, still overheats, think it's BHG, coolant explosion.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
coolerthanme said:

This time was much different. It freakin rocketed into an explosion of awesomeness and shot steaming coolant all over my engine bay, and thankfully got none on me.

:whip: best line EVER! hahaha

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
1) perform leakdown test, that will help determine if you have a BHG
2) if have BHG, tear down, take out block, and get the head and block mirror smooth by local shop
3) order personal choice of MHG (a say cometic 1.3) ARP bolts/studs (if you can afford) and head gasket kit from toyota, make the head gasket it comes with a beer holder by the bbq (also concider timing belt and water pump replacement if havent been done since you've had it)
4) after you get said materials, reassemble engine, taking time to do things correct and torquing down head gasket to PROPER torque
5) after problems have been cleared up when starting, enjoy car

<l><l>

·
Business Baby
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So going with the MHG is worth the extra change? I'm prolly going to be selling the car at the end of summer, because I'll be going off to Creighton.

Aprrox cost of everything?

·
Street Sleeper
1,114 Posts
If your going to sell the car I wouldn't go to the expense of a metal head gasket (about 400 - 1000 depending on how much of the work you do yourself.) I would just get an OEM head gasket get the head skimmed(if it needs it) and throw it back together.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
Spoolme said:
coolerthanme said:

This time was much different. It freakin rocketed into an explosion of awesomeness and shot steaming coolant all over my engine bay, and thankfully got none on me.
:whip: best line EVER! hahaha

:lol: i started crackin up when i read that :D

it sounds like a BHG. if i were you i would do the metal HG and keep the car. thats what i did :bigok:

·
Now with less BHG...
409 Posts
special emphasis on PROPER TORQUE SPECS! I lost my 88 due to 80 ft/lbs on a shitty head...

snap crackly pop...blown head, haha

·
Registered
789 Posts
Did you burp your coolant after replacing the thermostat? cause if it just shot up above red then the sensor hit an air pocket. Are you sure you got no leaks?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts