Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting ready to swap a gte into my n/a and was putting in an hks mhg 1.2mm and was wondering what i should look for if it needs to be resurfaced or if it needs any other machine work....someone said it should have a mirror finish?

·
Escaped from infinite lag
1,103 Posts
i second that if you dont wanna pull the engine back out get the block and the head lapped or at least get the RA value down to 30 or so. The shop will know what your talking about and if they dont thenleave right away

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much do you guys think that will cost? also someone told me that in order to get the block machined i would have to remove the pistons and what not which would mean the rings have to come off and i would just be better off rebuilding it if i have to go to that extent...is that bs or the truth?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
technically, yes.

if you have to have the block resurfaced, itll create a mess and shit wll get inside the cooling jackets, bolt holes, oil return holes and cylinder bores. it will be impossible to get all this metal shavings out without a thorough cleaning. you can pull out your OLD shits, and do a re-ring and re-bearing with the stock parts to save money. just get a bore brush and hone the cylinders to break the glaze off the cylinders so the New piston rings can break in.

you can skip the block resurfacing, but i would recommend against that. i left the block in the car and just concentrated on cleaning the block really well. but, my New HG didnt last more than 6 months. so i ended up pulling the motor and rebuilding it.

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok guys, thanks for the info...is there any way i can avoid doing all of this. i mean what are the chances of just putting on the mhg and the arp bolts and it actually lasting?

·
I have auto ADD.
4,567 Posts
fatMKIII said:
ok guys, thanks for the info...is there any way i can avoid doing all of this. i mean what are the chances of just putting on the mhg and the arp bolts and it actually lasting?
If you don't prep the surfaces correctly for a MHG the HG WILL blow again.

How much power are you looking at making? Have you thought about using a new stock HG? They don't require as much prep work.

·
Registered
208 Posts
My experience is that if you don't want to mirror finish the block and head, then don't bother with the metal head gasket. Use a stock Toyota gasket (much better than they were in 1987-1992) because they are much more forgiving of imperfect surfaces.

It's all a matter of what you want the car to do for you. If you want to trick it out and get high power with a reasonable life expectancy, then the metal gasket is the way to go.

If you want a daily driver that won't get punished off every stop light, then the stock gasket will last years.

Think of a triangle. The three corners are low cost, high power, reliability. You can't have all three. Inside the triangle, find your spot.

·
slower than a turtle
1,096 Posts
the factory gaskets with arps will take medium boost levels ok if you torque them right and high. if you dont want to pull the block with a huge rebuild then just get a factory gasket for like 45-60 dollars and put it on. but if you want high boost and power tear the entire motor down get it machined and hot tanked. and replace the bearings with stuff from www.expressautoparts.com i would get a new tensioner timing belt water pump rod and main bearings and thrust washers. and while your there be sure to get a full gasket set from H&M performance. also dont forget that the cork oil pan gasket doesnt work and to make your own out of copper rtv

·
Drifter 4 Life!
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah screw it, i'll go ahead and get the block and head refinished...better to do it now then when i change my mind and decide to turn up the boost and blow the stock hg. thanks for all the input guys, i made my decision. btw how much should a shop charge for resurfacing the head and block?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts