Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've found lots of threads in here about head gasket swaps. However, there doesn't seem to be anything that's actually complete, or I'm just missing it. Most of the links posted in those threads are dead.

So, there are a hell of a lot of plugs and hoses. How much of that shit can be eliminated completely when putting this back together? Do the lower runners have to come off the head in order to remove it? Does anyone have a write up with pictures?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! So, got my head off. It looks like the HG been changed not too long ago. All the surfaces look good and there's no warping anywhere. The car has 150,000 miles on it and had been told it was the original HG. Now I'm doubting it. Several of the exhaust manifold studs were broken off and not replaced. There's a bracket that bolts to the turbo, one of those was broken off. Someone has been into it before. I'm basically replacing it because it was at 150k and because it had a leak on the drivers side.

So now my question is, how do I figure out what thickness HG to put back on?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Depends on your overall goal. If it's staying stock, use a stock gasket and some arp bolts. If much boost is in its future, you will need a metal gasket and the thickness will be based on how much material is taken off machining the head and block, and what compression ratio you are looking for.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much boost / hp is the stock gasket good for? I wanna do some BPUs but I'll likely never go as far as swapping out the turbo. If the money isn't much different for the MHG tho, I may get it just in case I changed my mind it'd already be done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If there is any dout that you will not stay stock, go with a metal headgasket. You will save yourself alot of trouble and head ache in the end. You will also have the peace of mind that if its done right you wont ever have to do the head gasket again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts